[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how can one be an absolute materialist and still be happy. if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

how can one be an absolute materialist and still be happy. if everything is just a series of physical and causal laws how does one value anything
>>
>>8818785
>how does one value anything
subjectively
>>
>>8818796
so you have to like things just because. That seems kinda foreign to me
>>
if you insist on being happy without being stupid and solipsistic about it, you're going to have to do so with tragedy in mind

if you're okay with not being happy your options increase somewhat

happiness means having the freedom to choose what it is you're going to suffer for

misery means having that choice made for you
>>
>>8818813
but how does someone who believes life is reducible to a series of laws how do we not already have that choice made for us by causality
>>
>>8818798
you don't "have" to do anything
feel free to hate everything if you prefer
such a perspective is not uncommon 'round these parts
>>
>>8818832
i want to be happy but how can i
>>
>>8818798
you will always like things "just because".
your very reasoning, however objective you may construct it, is "just because".
you make objectively superior and advantageous choices because you want to live in the best way you can.
a lot of what you do will be composed of caprice and impulsive whims. you're a person.
if everything were numerically valued nothing would have value.
>>
>>8818838
i have some degree of rationality in decisions i make i can't be happy with absolutely arbitrary things and to be both pulled by chaotic whims and live in a world of only pre-ordained laws makes it seem like being human is an awful thing
>>
>>8818848
i really like Marcus Aurelius and have had a bad day and haven't sleep so good i am sorry i brought this here i have nobody to talk to. this is not literature i am going to delete thread
>>
>>8818866
how to delete thread
>>
>>8818785
>thread to old to delete
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.