[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sorry for the blog post

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1462647273359.png (31KB, 510x385px) Image search: [Google]
1462647273359.png
31KB, 510x385px
/lit/, I have a few questions as an aspiring author and an 18 year old useless sperg. I'd like to get into writing, and I've been writing casually since I was a little kid, but I'm not the best at it. Nothing I write sounds even vaguely intelligent; I can only shit out half-baked Rick Riordan teenybopper tier godawful gimmicky adventure stories(probably because that was all I read until about three years ago) that sound like they were poorly adapted from anime, or two page, depressing introspections about why my life is the way it is. This might seem like bait, but I'm really just that bad. What do? Read more? If so, what? I like Vonnegut and Orwell a lot, but reading through these threads I feel like I've only scratched the surface of literature. And I wouldn't even mind writing teenybopper adventure stories, as long as they had substance, but I don't always feel like mine do. What do I do, /lit/?
>>
Read more. Also go and experience things, Orwell wrote based on his personal experiences.
>>
>>8818100
>/lit/ is for the discussion of literature, specifically books (fiction & non-fiction), short stories, poetry, creative writing, etc. If you want to discuss history, religion, or the humanities, go to /his/. If you want to discuss politics, go to /pol/. Philosophical discussion can go on either /lit/ or /his/, but ideally those discussions of philosophy that take place on /lit/ should be based around specific philosophical works to which posters can refer.
>>
Start with Ezra Pound's ABC of Reading.
Read it until you agree with everything he writes.

Then proceeding to reading 20 pages of The Complete Works of Willliam Shakespeare every night, read at least one book every day, and write at least 20 pages a day (Times New Roman, 12, spacing 1.5). 10 of those pages should be in iambic pentameter, the others formally free.

After a year of this, you might be ready to learn latin and greek. If by age 21 you can't write in these fluently, you might as well give up. But if you succeed, then proceed to reading ALL of the available greek texts, and the essential medieval theology. Continue until age 23.

At 23, you should dedicate yourself to writing a novel and submitting it to an International Writing Competition.

[Post 1/4]
>>
>>8818114
Read more of what, though?
Should I go with the "start with the greeks" meme, or is there something more contemporary I can use as a base?
>>8818125
Literature can refer to the profession as well, anon. It was a good try though.
>>8818139
>tfw I actually have The Complete Works Of William Shakespeare around here somewhere
This feels baitlike, but that doesn't seem like a bad place to start either.
>>
>>8818100
Here's what I would do if I where you.
First of all read something by somebody who will make you feel something. Orwell and Kurt are good writers (regardless of what you read here), but if you want to write something that's not etiher a comedy or an essay, they probably won't help much. I would start woth something easy but powerful and with some real human feeling in it. I recommend Hemingway. Read up a bit on his bio and then dive right into "A Moveable Feast" (still one of my favorite books to date) which is autobiographical. Hemingway writes about love, despair, happiness and everything in between, plus he writes about writing itself, wich is always inspirational as fuck (if you like him, read The Old Man and the Sea and A Moveable Feast). After this write, write, write; everyday if you can. You will see how much you improve. Meanwhile start reading some of the books on /lit/ beginner kit, and continue writing.
>>
>>8818517
Fucked up. The other Hemingway book is "The Sun Also Rises"
>>
>>8818149
>Literature can refer to the profession as well, anon. It was a good try though.

Are you that fucking dense? No wonder this board has gone to shit.
>>
File: 1475897847005.jpg (22KB, 308x403px) Image search: [Google]
1475897847005.jpg
22KB, 308x403px
>>8818897
>be me
>turn 18
>apply to be a literature
>mfw when they kick me out of walmart and call my mom
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.