[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did he hate Romanticism so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: tseliot.jpg (8KB, 286x289px) Image search: [Google]
tseliot.jpg
8KB, 286x289px
Why did he hate Romanticism so much?
>>
Probably because it was a dominant paradigm in poetry which had run out of steam and was producing shit, and in order to distance himself from the effects of Romanticism in his time, he felt the need to extend a critique to the Romanticism of the past.

Kind of like how Eliot's stream of modernist vers libre has also ran out of steam in the modern age and produces only shit. Such is the process of literary history.

I think a lot of Eliot's poetry is Romantic as fuck, especially the role of weather and that gothic burial stuff in the Waste Land. Which are the best aspects of that poem so it's p. interesting
>>
>>8817354
>
I think a lot of Eliot's poetry is Romantic as fuck, especially the role of weather and that gothic burial stuff in the Waste Land. Which are the best aspects of that poem so it's p. interesting

holy

freshman literary analysis detected
>>
It was too liberal. Classicism is to romanticism way orthodoxy is to heterodoxy.
And we all know Eliot loved classicism and traditionalism.
>>
>>8817711
What is your analysis?
>>
>>8817711
Well, duh. That's cuz I'm literally a freshman in university. I'm still right, but I'm not writing an academic paper about it.

But if you want to have an actual conversation about it, and illustrate that you have indeed read the Waste Land, then I'd be happy to oblige, you condescending faggot
>>
File: smugfrug.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
smugfrug.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>8817711
>>8817733
>>8817738

Well, I guess that settles that then
>>
>>8817818
lmao troll'd em hard boy
>>
>>8817312
I wouldn't say he hated Romanticism, only the Romantic idea that poetry is about one's emotions.
>>
>>8817825
>>8817818
>>8817738
>>8817733
>>8817711
>>8817354

>samefagging your own stupid thread this hard
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3169x2336px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3169x2336px
>>8817958
>i m p l y i n g
>>
Some are stupid enough to think that, because Eliot says he doesn't into Romanticism, he isn't a Romantic, or that 'The Waste Land' does not have a great dose of Romanticism. Like assuming a man with a cold will speak in favour of colds.
>>
>>8817958
>make thread
>come back
>some faggot anon accuses me of samefagging
boi
>>
>>8818001
Well, because of Eliot the "new" modernism devolved into bookish, elitist classicism, but that was what made him different. Intellect and objectivity are paramount to Eliot, which contrasts with the naive sentimentality of Romantic writers. He also loved quotation and irony, and if you ever see a romantic cliche in Eliot's work it is in juxtaposition with something else (ie "Let us go then, you and I" into "Like a patient etherized upon a table").
>>
>>8818001
It's fascinating to compare the role of the seasons in a poem like Ode to the West Wind with their role in the Waste Land. It's almost like a corruption of the same theme, but then again, later Romanticism was always pregnant with a more sinister edge to the depiction of nature, so in this case, I think Eliot is excavating what is already present in writers he claimed to detest, like Shelley.

I really think it's important to complicate the theory that Eliot is an anti-Romantic with readings like this, which is what I was trying to do before that FAGGOT anon called me a FRESHMAN for doing so
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.