[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes this book a great book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: Ulysses.jpg (63KB, 585x750px) Image search: [Google]
Ulysses.jpg
63KB, 585x750px
What makes this book a great book?
>>
It's fun
>>
>>8816885
It's a meme book.
>>
File: Top100lit2016memes.png (3MB, 1000x2391px) Image search: [Google]
Top100lit2016memes.png
3MB, 1000x2391px
>>8816885
its currently #1 on our top 100 chart
>>
>>8816922
You should really read Finnegans Wake, anon
I'm really not trying to meme, it's the most fun I ever had reading a book even though it took me three weeks to get to page 60
>>
>>8816922
>Quijote 11
REEE.
>>
>>8816885
bloom pooping scene
>>
>>8816922
>infinite jest > bible

why do I come here?
>>
>>8816922
wait there's no Ovid?
>>
>>8817094
>>
>>8816928
how long is it?
>>
>>8817015
oh snap someone who's actually read the book
>>
>>8817135
~600 pages
>>
Joyce knew his Irish SoL book would too impenetrable for most people so he wisely made the main character an overeducated wierdo and cut out all the sappy normalfag I-remember-my-first-kiss-it-all-happened-when-I-was-12-years-old-and-a-new-girl-moved-in-nextdoor-during-summer-vacation type shit that is the bulk of most typical SoL stories. Aditionally, he gave the wierdo protagonist a hot wife who is way out of his league to pander to the permavirgin readers similarly to how in ecchi anime shows, the cute monster girls always throw themselves at the dorky but kind protagonist for no discernable reason other then wish fulfillment.

Also the prose is pretty good
>>
>>8817263
think youre conflating Bloom and Stephen...
>>
Everyone in real life that I've met that love this book are ALL pseudo intellectuals. What's going on with this book, why does it attract them so much?
>>
>>8817286
You are the kind of person that kills art because of jealousy
>>
>>8817291
I like the book. I just hate the fans
>>
Everyone gets so fucking insecure around this book. The most common criticism is reddit-tier nonsense like how "pretentious" projectors think it is.

That is reason enough to take it seriously and read it.
>>
>>8816922
>no Artemis Fowl or Eragon
What a joke.
>>
>>8817304
>That is reason enough to take it seriously and read it.
Elaborate.
>>
>>8816922
>>8817003
Yeah, why is Quixote only in position 11?
>>
>>8817021
Cause there are no objective aesthetic imperatives and people that have no inclination towards religiosity are going to vote for the former instead of the latter when colloquially quipping their 3 favourite books.

Being surprised by this is actually more embarrassing than holding the given view, tbqh desu
>>
File: Ugh.png (259KB, 641x279px) Image search: [Google]
Ugh.png
259KB, 641x279px
>>8816922
>>8816922

>Moby Dick
>#2

Supremely overrated.
>>
>>8817379
>Cause there are no objective aesthetic imperatives
Why has this become scripture, isn't there at least a debate about this
>>
Lenghty
Multi Layered
Endless references
Different styles of writting
>>
>>8817435
I think the field of Aesthetics does indeed count as a little debate, but I feel confident saying it.

I'm sure even Kant would agree with me, though I'll admit it may be slightly more accurate for me to say every aesthetic imperative isn't subjective, but they're not objective either. I think Kant, Hume, et al use the word inter-subjective
>>
It's very unique, in terms of both style and substance. The most realistic and fully realized novel ever written
>>
ule ssee
>>
>>8817669
You said nothing.
>>
It's super long and that somehow justifies being a dick to anyone who hasn't read it.
>>
>>8817277
Bloom was a pretty smart guy too though. Stephen was a genius, so Bloom doesn't look as smart in comparison, but if Bloom weren't intelligent then it would have been a boring book
>>
>>8816885
Besides the fact that it's just entertaining and fun as hell, Ulysses is monumental in terms of just how much it has to say and just how thoroughly, exhaustively and cleverly it achieves this. For example, Joyce is able to simultaneously prop up the Greek epic framing device and does so by paralleling it with the pugilistic form of Irish Nationalism and also World War I. (The Greeks we're big into noble tales and hero worship--as were Irish Nationalists, World War I at least to Joyce was fought for similar, ultimately incantatory ideals). That's really just the beginning. Joyce always made it his mission to shoe the world in the particular, and with Ulysses he pretty much achieved this in spades.

Besides this, you have thoroughly impressive gauntlet of prose styles, wordplay, etc.

Ulysses is hands down the finest novel I've read and I unironically, no memeing, think it is probably the greatest novel ever written.
>>
>>8817746
This is the only dude that read the book in this thread.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.