[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Literary Depictions of Hell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

What do you guys think of the ways that Milton and Dante seem to portray Hell and the devil in their classic works? I don't have much to say about Milton, but I feel slight issues with Dante's version of Hell.

It's far too orderly and predictable in some cases, why do the punishments fit the crimes? Why is it so neatly organized?

It would seem to me that by rebelling against God and all that God represents (natural law, for instance) that the Kingdom of Hell would be something entirely opposite. It would remind someone of Auschwitz maybe, where your punishment is random and the entire place is arbitrary. Gilles de Rais my only be flogged while a whore is drawn and quartered repeatedly.
>>
>>8816642
>why do the punishments fit the crimes?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrapasso

>Why is it so neatly organized?
As with the rest of the universe, God is the boss. Satan isn't, he's imprisoned there.
>>
I imagine the punishments fit the crimes both to produce good poetry using irony, and to drive home the point that bad people get what they deserve (and the good what they deserve).
>>
>>8816642
MY DIARY DESU
Y

D
I
A
R
Y

T
B
H
>>
Don Juan in Hell had a pretty interesting vision of the place.
>>
>>8816766
came here to post this
>>
>>8816642
I think dante's depiction is masturbatory. I haven't read milton's.
>>
>>8816642
I've been to hell, it looks nothing like Dante's or Milton's.

Myself did it better in my diary
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.