[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into poetry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

I can read lit fine dissecting plot, characters, themes, symbolism etc.

But with poetry I feel like I'm not appreciating it as much as I should be. I enjoy but I don't feel like I'm fully getting it.
>>
Are you reading it out loud? I sincerely hope you're not speed reading verse.
>>
You really have to train yourself to read it slowly and properly, both in terms of the rhythm and considering the meaning.

Try listening to some poems spoken by competent people on Youtube and you'll see.
>>
you have to pay careful attention to the language. if you don't have access to the OED you need to get it. any college student should be able to access it. unless you're 100% positive you know exactly what a word means you have to look it up. precision is important so you have to be able to pick out barely perceptible shifts in tone, meter, imagery. pay careful attention to pronouns. read a lot. read slowly. learn how to read properly (when to pause and how long for certain things like commas and line breaks and enjambments)
>>
>>8814942
So I can get by without understanding that meter shit?
>>
>>8814963

depends on what you mean by get by most modern poetry is free verse so it doesn't rigid meter like old poetry but for instance if a poet really quickly snapped into iambic pentameter for a minute you should be able to notice that because its probably important for a strong interpretation
>>
>>8814979
What can I read to properly understand that?
>>
>>8814983
Stephen Fry - The Ode Less Travelled
>>
Start with limericks and work up from there.
>>
>>8814989
Cheers man
>>
>>8814992
>work up
Limericks are the endgame of poetic expression.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.