[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rayuela (Hopscotch)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Just started it today. I'm in ch.4 (using the "jumping" method). I really want to like it but so far it's been confusing and not really engaging. Is it like IJ where it all starts to make sense in like page.200? Or should I come back to it later? Any advice?
>>
It's more relatable to if you understand spanish and read it in original.

I had a look at some translations and they were a bit off, to be hon
>>
I didn't find it ever as scattered as Infinite Jest to begin with, around fifty pages you kind of settle in to the flow of the book and I'd think most of the Paris characters have by that point been introduced. The narrative certainly picks up in the latter half if that's what you're asking, but the lackadaisical melancholy and rambling meditations on whatever the book opens with are constant throughout.

No advice persay, but in case you hadn't picked up the narrative in Paris (From The Other Side) and Argentina (From This Side) is linear in both methods of reading. What Hopscotch is doing with its non-linearity is mostly threading appendixes and secondary narratives from the book's "expendable" section, (From Diverse Sides) through the regular narrative flow. In effect, the Hopscotching kind of works like Footnotes in Infinite Jest, note the order:

73-1-2-116-3-84-4-71-5 ...

The narrative itself ends on Chapter 56, so as you can see it's not the book's main parts being scrambled around but rather post-56 chapters which take the form of epigraphs and side stories being woven into the linear narrative, so don't worry about resolving everything from the expendable chapters into the immediate narrative. The book argues against absolute coherence. (largely through Morelli)
>>
File: Julio Down By the Schoolyard.jpg (7KB, 125x144px) Image search: [Google]
Julio Down By the Schoolyard.jpg
7KB, 125x144px
>>8812709
Ay Lmao
>>
>>8813104
Si, lo estoy leyendo en espaƱol. Hay algunas expresiones Argentinas que no entiendo bien (soy Mexicano). Pero ahora acabo de leer otro capitulo y todo tiene un poco mas de sentido y por fin me estoy enganchando. Fue mas entrar en un poco de panico por no agarrarle al estilo desde el principio (algo mormal en cualquier libro, pero mas dificil en uno tan complejo como Rayuela) y ponerme a buscar definiciĆ³nes que no entendia.
>>
>>8813184
Yes! OP here, just got to the part where Morielli is introduced and now everything is starting to make more sense. I guess it was just the panic of not understanding a book from the beginning (as it usually happens with simpler books than this). But im curious now, what did you think of the book? Did any of the references or the slang confuse you?
>>
>>8813197
A most patrician pepe
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.