[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's a good book about WW1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: Krieg_Soldat.jpg (132KB, 441x1087px) Image search: [Google]
Krieg_Soldat.jpg
132KB, 441x1087px
I know the big ones are Storm of Steel and All Quiet on the Western Front and Now it Can Be Told, but those are personal stories, and I'm looking for a more general overview.
>>
>>8810000
I read The Age of Revolution and found the author thorough and engaging at the same time.
>>
>>8810187
That does look like a cool book, but I'd have to read Age of Revolution, Age of Capital, and Age of Empire before I could read Age of Extremes, and that covers 1914 all the fucking way to 1991 so there's a lot of non-WW1 stuff in there too
>>
>>8810000
Death of a Hero by Richard Aldington is good. I read it once in a modernist literature course.
>>
>>8810000
All request threads for adult content belong on /r/, and all request threads for work-safe content belong on /wsr/, unless otherwise noted.
>>
>>8810225
I'm not requesting a torrent or anything, I'd go buy it at the book store.
>>
>>8810204
No you wouldn't, they're standalone. That said I don't recommend Hobsbawm for an overview of WWI.

I would say first read Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman, which covers the outbreak to the first month of the war. The thing about WWI is that it's too big a conflict for there to be a single good overview written about it.
>>
File: Bowie disappoint.gif (141KB, 500x215px) Image search: [Google]
Bowie disappoint.gif
141KB, 500x215px
>>8810204
Forgot the year the war started. (and haven't read the book)
It would make a good prelude. No you don't necessarily have to read the ones that came before.

How about Tuchman's The Guns of August
>>
>>8810326
>>8810340
>Guns of August
Cool, I'll add that to my list
>>
I hear Company K is good
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.