[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best book of 2016

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: 13069874.jpg (101KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
13069874.jpg
101KB, 313x475px
Congratulations Alan Moore on winning /lits prestigious best book award. Your book Jerusalem was selected by /lit as 2016's best book of the year. We look forward to what the future has in store for you.
Can someone make a chart with this 1 book and something about it being our 2016 favorite. k thanks.
>>
its not
>>
>actually believing memes
>>
>>8809420
what is?
>>
The lack of discussion of this book compared to its pre-release hype is telling.
>>
>>8809523
I know right. it came out and then nothing.
>>
>>8809503
Thus Bad Begins by Javier Marias
>>
>>8809554
>translations

weeeew
>>
Is it actually literature or is it another 'funny book'??
>>
>>8809585
it's the best book of 2016 tbqhwyfds
>>
>>8809585
I bet it's endlessly funny.
>>
>>8809523
Here I'd seen it discussed more than Infinite Jest & Gravity's Rainbow, before the most recent /pol/r9k/ flood that is
>>
>>8809603
you might even call it, an eternal jape
>>
File: noice cuppa tea.jpg (47KB, 500x749px) Image search: [Google]
noice cuppa tea.jpg
47KB, 500x749px
>>8809417
I'm still reading it; didn't want to post anything until finishing (about 3/4 through now, hope to finish by end of the year). Actually quite like it so far despite downloading on a whim because of memes - I can see why some people dropped it early on as the first section is pretty disjointed, and didn't care for the Lucinda Joyce chapter at all, but some of the Mansoul/angels playing snooker stuff is legitimately great and overall it makes an odd kind of sense despite being pretty "out there" conceptually (bit like Iain Sinclair or a non-SF Philip K. Dick). Kind of want to get Voice of the Fire now as it's apparently a tighter execution of the same general "mythology of weird vagabonds in Northampton" idea.

tl;dr - comics man did good.
>>
>>8810590
>Voice of the Fire now as it's apparently a tighter execution of the same general
Not quite the same mythology, but tighter it is.
>>
>>8809417
thanks /lit/
>>
>>8810590
Voice of the Fire is based, one of my fav books. Haven't read Jerusalem yet but it sounds similar, albeit a lot longer.
>>
>>8809554

>this year

try again, filthy monolingus.
>>
File: 1396539365647.png (732KB, 696x544px) Image search: [Google]
1396539365647.png
732KB, 696x544px
>>8810590
>mfw ghost blowjobs

fucking madman.
>>
I tried to read it in english, but I soon got lost.
I'm waitin for a translation, i'm pretty sure it's comin in 2017 in Italy.
>>
>>8809603
>>8809894

Even, dare I say it, a neverending joke
>>
>>8810590
Keep going its worth it
>>
>>8809417
Its because the majority of people didn't read it and make unfunny jokes about it while not having read it. I was hyped for it bought it read it and enjoyed it. I'd recommend it if your patient and non-judgemental on the way in but if your first reaction is HAHAHA COMICMAN WROTE BOOK UPBOAT XD then it's not for you
>>
>>8811752
Did reddit even notice this book? Seems like it'd be too much for their babby attention spans.
>>
>>8809523
because people on this board don't read, they just wait until someone forms an opinion that gets accepted by people who've read it, so they can reproduce it
>>
>>8809417
I'm still waiting for a substantial discussion about it to inspire me to actually buy it. Everything else has just been a whole lot of memeing back and forth.
>>
>>8811326
Don't be worried about them sounding too similar, it seemed many who had read Voice of the Fire were based on the description for Jerusalem, and it turned out to be its own thing entirely
>>
>>8809417
I know you're just memeing on it being the only reply you got last time, but aside from translations it actually is the only notable fiction published in 2016
>>
>>8813300
It's because all the "patricians" on here won't give a chance
>>
>>8815992
Wrong. I have.

t. the only "patrician" here
>>
the best books of the year were the roger lewinter translations that came out
>>
File: 1473618192131.png (543KB, 500x775px) Image search: [Google]
1473618192131.png
543KB, 500x775px
You know it's coming. Hell, it'll probably be less than 10 years.
>>
>>8809503
Never a Gain by Paul Butfield
>>
>>8818466
that's a good as cover
>>
>>8817492
So what did you think of it?

>>8818466
Dubs confirm anything is possible in a post-Dylan universe
>>
>>8818494
you mean a post- whatever the name of the guy is whose book's cover is the picture of an orgasming gay man's face ~ universe
>>
>>8818691
>the guy is whose book's cover is the picture of an orgasming gay man's face
Morrissey?
>>
i feel like this is wrong, but i don't know enough about 2016 books to dispute it
>>
>>8819059
It's been a pretty shit year desu
>>
>>8817492
What did you think then oh great patrish man
>>8818494
I have also read best atheistic representation of a pseudo afterlife I've ever read. Also not having read his other book I was surprised at how well he writes. Can't thoroughly describe anything for you there's a lot going on and I don't think my articulation of events would do it justice. If you're interested and you know you'll put the time in to read I think you'll like it
>>
>>8820474
>I have also read best atheistic representation of a pseudo afterlife I've ever read.
How many have you read?
>>
>>8821723
None other than that really didn't mean to imply I had but the majority of the novel takes place in an afterlife and a god isn't really implied there are some Christian characters and arch angels are in the book but atheistic is the way I'd describe it. Not in a fedora tippy way either its just that a god is never implicated in books universe. Thinking of it an atheistic after life was something I hadn't personally thought of until this book. The book also deals a lot with eternalism as well as an afterlife. I don't know how I'd feel about eternalism really I kind of like the impermanence of things
>>
>>8821841
>>8821723
Also to correct my earlier post
*^I have also read it. Probably the best
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.