[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any good books for people with ADHD? I have alot of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 220px-Hauntedcvr[1].jpg (9KB, 220x322px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Hauntedcvr[1].jpg
9KB, 220x322px
Are there any good books for people with ADHD? I have alot of trouble reading, not physically, but mentally. I read pretty slow, imagining scenes as they happen in my head, as if I'm watching a movie of everything going on in the book, but if it gets too boring, I stop imagining and start skimming, and once I realize I've been skimming, I cant remember what I was even reading, so I read the whole page again.

Is there any way to fix it or am I stuck with reading only certain books? does anyone else have this issue?

>pic related is one of the few books I actually read completely and willfully
>>
>>8809041
is this the book by palahuik (or whatever) where the guy rips his guts out through his ass with a pool drain?
>>
I guess what you'd have to do is acknowledge that it's fine to read slowly, and take a break whenever you start the brain-dead skimming like that and return to it later. Have you tried that before?
>>
aspie here I always read nonfiction. just constantly take notes and its usually fine
>>
>>8809145
yes, but I rarely return to my books and by the time I do, I am completely lost and restart.

I'm making my 2nd attempt to read Rainbow Six right now.

>>8809134
Yes, and I really enjoyed it cause it focuses on one character per chapter and has a definite structure.
>A poetic intro to each chapter summing up the character
>the current-day plot focusing on a character with a defining disability or other obvious mental/physical issue
>and the chapter ends with the character's backstory
>>
Read a book that you can't get away with skimming.
>>
>>8809041
Fuck. I read books exactly like this. I have ADHD as well. What is it like to read without ADHD???? I'm finding so much of my experiences in the world are completely different to people without ADHD
>>
not sure if i have ADHD but sometimes my brain won't just "shut up" and concentrate in the book

is it normal? how do i build discipline/concentration?
>>
I have ADHD and I've read lots of Joyce, Homer, Melville, DFW, Shakespeare... it's strange because sometimes I have to force myself to read but even when I do I enjoy it
>>
>>8809041
Anon I have the same problem, I try to find experimental, idiosyncratic and short books or ones with really short stories or chapters because of this. When it comes to experimental books I allow myself to read to the next page by anticipating that very soon there will be some surprise image/text fuckery that's on the next page. I haven't read House of Leaves (or Mark's other work) or Night Film or S. but I plan on doing so bc I have ADHD and I love stuff like that. I read The Tunnel by William H. Gass and it is probably the most difficult book I've finished though once I got used to the style and anticipated what strange text fuckery lay ahead it became quite easy for me. It is so far the longest novel I have finished and my bad attention span helped me finish it. I find that I like books that don't really contain much plot of which the Tunnel is certainly like that and so will other books I mentioned. The Tunnel is a lot of rambling but really well written. If you like Metafiction with your rambling you can try Willie Master's Lonesome Wife which has lots of pictures though I'm not sure if you'll enjoy it as it is just meta fuckery but I thought It was splendid. Some books with short chapters is Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut and also his last book Timequake which I enjoyed but didn't think were masterpieces. I think the Mezzanine also had short chapters and I liked the gimmick in that book too. I think the best book I can think of that has short chapters, is experimental and is metafictional is "I am a Japanese Writer" which is one of the funniest books I've ever read. This might not interest you but another book I read was The Diary of Saint Faustina. The diary format made it a breeze to read.

I think you should also try poetry, I tend to read short poems because of my reading problem. If you like books with definite structure as you have explained before I would check out Blood Meridian. Each chapter title is a summery of the chapter you've just read so how I read that book was to cover the chapter title with my hand and then read the whole chapter and then go back and read the title to help me absorb what I just read and so I had a motivation to finish it. It's quite a beautiful book but it's also really violent which should appeal to you.

So basically I have the same problem you have. I think as I have new authors enter my system that I like their works of I feel that I've conquered my problem a bit more. You are not alone.

Guts is a fun novel excerpt from the book you posted.

Someone has a chart for novellas (short novels) and I'd recommend looking into that.

Going to this site has helped me because I'm a depressed fuck who can't do anything on my own so having stuff to read about to report back or talk about with people is really helpful to me. Goodreads has been a great motivation for me to finish books since it tracks your reading.

>>8810450 What I've read of Joyce and Melville it has basically been ADHD heaven.
>>
Behead All Satans
>>
Diagnosed with ADHD here and I do the same thing.

I also feel like I can't remember shit from anything I've ever read except very specific scenes. I don't absorb anything even though I can enjoy it in the moment. Not sure if it's related.
>>
adhd isn't real
get some exercise
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.