[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So we can all agree this was the best book of 2015, but what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: Vollmann-Dying-Grass.jpg (42KB, 329x499px) Image search: [Google]
Vollmann-Dying-Grass.jpg
42KB, 329x499px
So we can all agree this was the best book of 2015, but what will be the best book of 2016?
>>
>>8807582
I have this lying unstarted on my bedside table.
What do I think of it /lit/?
>>
File: book-jerusalem-moore-2[1].jpg (942KB, 1579x2400px) Image search: [Google]
book-jerusalem-moore-2[1].jpg
942KB, 1579x2400px
desu
>>
>>8807595
I thought it was great. have you read the first 2 books?
>>
I'm sorry, I swore never to read a book with a horse on the cover.
>>
>>8807611
It's a spotted zebra
>>
File: 1475732498497.jpg (226KB, 737x601px) Image search: [Google]
1475732498497.jpg
226KB, 737x601px
>>8807582
>reading contemporary ''''''''literature''''''''''
>>
>>8807846
>posting frogs on a Canadian frog posting forum

okayyyy budddddy
>>
I really respect Vollmann. I've only read some of his early work (ice shirt, whores for Gloria, thirteen stories and thirteen epigraphs) and some of Europe Central. All of it is wildly ambitious. Vollmann approaches history in an interesting way, reminiscent of Pynchon in that he accepts the natural bias and therefore untruth that history offers it and instead views it as a web of interconnected narratives. Sebald and Vollmann are wildly similar, I think, though Vollmann accepts the limitations of literature at expressing history, truth, historical truth, while Sebald is very self conscious of this notion. Vollmann tries to experience the shit, make his own narrative out of it. Sebald observes the unrelenting narratives and ultimate narrative of humanity, which is of destruction and creation.
>>
It's like 1400 pages. What does he write about the Nez Perce conflict that makes it worth that slog?
>>
>>8807582
Brief History of Seven Killings was better.

I liked Dying Grass, but in the end the formatting was a massive error.
>>
File: tryhard.jpg (189KB, 648x777px) Image search: [Google]
tryhard.jpg
189KB, 648x777px
>>8808378
tryhard formatting to make it seem deeper than it is. Basically using "experimental" prose to hide week storytelling ala pynchon.

The entire novel is like this. I tried the epub and it was shitty, and the hardcover was not much better. Too bad because the subject matter and his descriptive ability are solid.
>>
>>8808413
If you think Pynchon can't tell a story the issue is more on your end than his. Vollmann on the other hand is just an autistic schlockmonger working in vaguely respectable-seeming "journalistic" historical or "experimental" contexts.
>>
>>8807582
Fuck I like Vollmann and all but the dude has to cool it with the tomes.
>>
>>8807582
if translations count a bunch of good stuff came out in english this year
>>
>>8808413
Damn this is excellent. However yes if we are counting translations, Krasznahorkai released a better book on America in 2015.
>>
>>8808413
wow I love this its very inspiring
>>
>>8808445
goddamnit you are dumb. or young. or don't read. or all of the above.
>>
>>8808413
WTF I love Vollmann now. thanks niggers. so the ice-shirt is the first in this series of native stories?
>>
>>8808585
>>8808624
>>8808692
Glad to have interested you in 24,000 pages of random indents and line breaks
>>
>>8808692

Yes. It's about the Norsemen and the Skraelings in Greenland and Newfoundland.
>>
>>8808680
no u, faggot.

That's about the only kind of response you deserve.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.