[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You're telling me Pynchon has been imitating his dead Cornell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: beendownsolong.jpg (282KB, 1296x1600px) Image search: [Google]
beendownsolong.jpg
282KB, 1296x1600px
You're telling me Pynchon has been imitating his dead Cornell buddy for the past 50 years?

Is it any good?
>>
why don't you read it and find out, retard
>>
I've been waiting to see if a thread about this ever came up. I started it but had already read too much Pynchon Kerouac and Burroughs for it to seem fresh. I never finished it. Maybe if I was still in college it would've enticed me more.

I'm sure Farina was a swell guy however.
>>
I fuckin love it, I'm also a fan of The Farinas music though, so I come to it with a bias

Not really Pynchonian except in the overlap of 60's counterculture and the sense of humor that goes with that. It's definetely a young person's book, but I don't think you'd have to be young to enjoy it. Young once, maybe.

I'm inclined to compare it to Emmett Grogan's Ringlevio: fictionalized counterculture autobiography where the main character is the coolest cat around and does drugs and courts girlies and speaks t-r-u-t-h ETC yet where Ringolevio was near insufferable for its selfseriousness and selfrighteousness Been Down So Long laughs behind the back of its own faux-cool Quixote and pokes holes in his lifestyle.

(of course the comparison is very silly as Farina was an entertainer and Grogan an activist and Been Down is a novel while Ringolevio makes claims of memoir...)
>>
>>8805413
Ok. Maybe I'll give it another shot.
>>
It's funny
>>
>>8805171
lmao looking at the name of the main character in that book. I think it's safe to assume OP is correct.
>>
>>8807405
not really, gnossos papadopulis is greek
>>
>>8805171
It's not really the same as Pynchon at his apex. It's basically a wacky semi-autobiographical 60s era campus novel with some dark overtones.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.