[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you realise that Lovecraft was shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

File: hp-lovecraft.jpg (155KB, 1012x1527px) Image search: [Google]
hp-lovecraft.jpg
155KB, 1012x1527px
When did you realise that Lovecraft was shit?
>>
>shit
>almost a daily thread about him

Maybe his style to try to describe the "unspeakable" wasn't the best, but stil, try to find someone (beside E.A.P and Stephen King) who can create a solid and dense horror atmosphere in ANY short story.

Yeah, that's what i thougt, nu-male
>>
>>8804115
Couple of months ago
>>
>>8804115
what the fuck now I hate Lovecraft.
>>
>>8804115
When I learned what he thought about blacks.
What a bigot.
>>
>>8804418
>IMPLYIGN
>Yeah, that's what i thougt, nu-male
what the fuck, dude?
why did you have to deliver a legitimate point in the shitpostiest way possible?
>>
When I tried to read "The Silver Key". Lots of his stories are shitty, outdrawn and poorly written. Although Call of Cthulhu is a masterpiece, and I did like Dunwich Horror.
>>
>>8804115
When I realized the literary establishment thought he was shit, because I believe their values almost alone in the world out of all the groups of people with strong opinions about certain things being good and the rest being mediocre or bad are actually valid,the group i identify with alone is the group that matters and has the right opinions, and hp lovecraft is bad because they don't like hp lovecraft and he writes too much about fantastical nonsense instead of our tiresome, hateful, empty world and/or the lives of twee oregonian housewives or whatevers hot right now, i genuinely believe this shit matters
>>
>>8804115
>When did you realize that Lovecraft was shit?

When I read his works. I'll never get those IQ points back.
>>
>>8804115

When I read him I realized he wasn't hot shit, I'll concede to that much.

>>8804418

Kafka, Melville, Harlan Ellison, Maupassant.

>>8804565

Come now lad, there are perfectly legitimate reason to dislike the unspeakable eldritch horror that surpasses all human faculties of comprehension that is Lovecraft's prose.
>>
>>8804115
Never
>>
>>8804115
When I read him. He deserves credit for the people he's influenced, though.
>>
>>8804418
Gogol. Easily.
>>
Called the thing a nigger
>>
When my grade 8 teacher made us read that one about the man living in a cave or whatever
>>
File: 1402004671807.jpg (37KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
1402004671807.jpg
37KB, 396x382px
>>8804115
>>
when I discovered he was racist :(
>>
>>8804115
I actually cane to love him when i first read "On the Creation of Niggers"
>>
His stronger material doesn't really make up for the overall lack in quality. I can appreciate a lot of it though.
>>
>>8804115
He's not an amazing and insightful writer but anyone who doesn't enjoy his stories every now and then hates fun
>>
First time I read him.

Never understood that phase people go through of thinking he was a genius.
>>
When
>>
>>8804691
You think i have no mouth and i must scream and fucking china mieville can beat the colour out of space ?

How? Seriously, i cant even concieve of how so please, explain it to me. Even kafka only comes close with the vulture or at the prison colony.
>>
>>8804115
When reading, as autistic as it sounds, if I can't stand a writer's writing style then I usually put it down for something else. Lovecraft's writing, while influential as a horror genre in of itself, is dryer than sand and is insufferable to drag on simply because he's crested such a compelling mythos (personally).

I'm attempting currently to write something akin to Lovecraft, i.e. surrealist turn of the century england with some freaky mind bending otherworldly things, except I keep my pace fast to make my readers more engaged and, hopefully, make it scarier to read. Hopefully that is. Horror is kind of a dead genre as far as I'm aware, or at least, everyone that tries is left stuck in King's shadow
>>
>>8807087
Horror isnt even close to dead. American horror story, the walking dead, ghost movies and PT prove its as popular as ever.

In fact, if you wanted to make a splash in horror books, now is the time.
>>
>>8807111
Horror in movies/tv =/= in books. Some retard that wants to plop himself down infront of AHS to watch Gaga get fucked for an hour probably wouldnt waste the effort to actually engage himself in a book
>>
File: DAGOTH-VORYN.jpg (102KB, 482x750px) Image search: [Google]
DAGOTH-VORYN.jpg
102KB, 482x750px
>>8804115
When I went to his grave and told him the story of the Sixth House and Dagoth Ur, he did not want to hear it.

That was when I walked away and turned my back on the Old Ones.
>>
>>8807134
But thats not what you said. You said horrir is a dead genre and the examples i provided emphatically show that large amounts of the global populace are still interested in horror. Many people are still widely deoted.

The reason you think people arent reading as much horror now is because theres nothing worth reading. If King wasnt a hack before, he is now. No new, different horror books are being made theyre all just zombies or psychos.

We are, right now, at the perfect point for someone to make a new horror book or series that drives people up the walls with fear and fascination.
>>
>>8807299
Thanks for the encouragement brah
>>
>>8807299
There's plenty of horror books being made that are pretty good they just don't get recognized enough by normies.
>>
>>8807805
Like what? Heart shaped box is shit. Kings recent work is shit. That 4chan creepypasta is an insult to horror writers everywhere. Ligottis spectral link book, 2012, while okay is so short its taking the piss.
>>
>>8807833
The Fisherman by John Langan
A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay
Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt

Tons of short story collections and shorter books as well. But i'm just going to assume you'll say everything is shit.
>>
I got bored of him when I realised that all his shit follows the exact same template, and the writing is obnoxious.
I started hating him once /lit/ kept bringing him up all the fucking time.
>>
>>8804115
I wouldn't say he's shit, but he's not what I expected.

So many people create works in other mediums, be them movies, TV shows, video games, or other works of writing, with huge fucking monsters with tentacles and gnashing teeth, heralded by rips in space-time, explosions, and action sequences, and then claim that their work was inspired by Lovecraft.

Naturally, if thought Lovecraft's work would be similar to this stuff, but nope. His writing is very atmospheric and subtle. That in itself isn't bad, it's just not what I'd come to expect from him. I still enjoy his work, but I wonder how so many people can make something that ends up being the complete opposite of his works and themes and still claim that it's based off his stories. Do they not realize that the real point of his stories are the fear of the unknown and the anticipation of not necessarily imminent, though very probable death? The tentacles and slimed skin are irrelevant and should honestly be the very last thing to take away and be inspired by.

I don't think he's bad, I just get this little voice in the back of my mind while I'm reading his works worrying that I'll become retarded like the so many people who are inspired by him.
>>
>>8804115
>Greatest horror writer to exist
>shit

Ok then.
>>
>>8807970
Because movies and video games are extremely visual mediums, and subtle things like the descent into insanity and powerful gods beyond our comprehension are aspects of Lovecraftian horror which are very, very hard to implement, and better expressed through literature.
The game Bloodborne has a great balance between giant tentacle monsters and the character descending into madness.
>>
>>8807879
I havent read them so i cant call them shit.

Give me your top ten recent horror books and what fenre they are please. Ill need tlsometjing after ive finished The Red Tree, Exquisite Corpse and Song of Kali.
>>
File: William Hope Hodgson.jpg (121KB, 726x1024px) Image search: [Google]
William Hope Hodgson.jpg
121KB, 726x1024px
Stand back, I've got this.
>>
>>8808089
I need tlsometjing too, man.
We ALL need tlsometjing.
>>
>>8808020
>Lovetards believe this
Read more horror.
>>
>>8804418
Robert Howard

but lovecraft is still good.
>>
>>8808020
>genre fic is bad
wow, shocking isnt it
>>
>>8804418
Ligotti
>>
He was the last romantic, but people misunderstood him and thought he was some modernist horror artist.
>>
>>8804115
After finishing At the Mountains of Madness, my first Lovecraft story. You reach the final page and realize he is a one-trick pony with no meaningful content.
>>
>>8808594
>At the Mountains of Madness, my first Lovecraft story
That's where you fucked up
>>
>>8808594
>first Lovecraft story
>realize he is a one-trick pony
I realized The Beatles were an one hit wonder after listening to "Love Me Do".
>>
>>8809127
*a one hit wonder
>>
>>8809131
do us all a favor and become an hero
>>
>>8804428
Fuck niggers and fuck you
>>
>>8804115
Read Dunwich Horror. So much better.
It might be the case that you just don't like horror fiction. It is shit IMHO.
>>
>>8808543
>>8808089
I'll need something to read after.
Fuck. Still, any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>8808560
>exploring innate human emotions is bad
>having a focus for your work is bad
>>
>>8808550
Robert Howard? What, his "unspeakable" creations are all too damn similar to humans and too relatable to be alien. Are you high?
>>
File: 1462641366786.jpg (374KB, 1140x1567px) Image search: [Google]
1462641366786.jpg
374KB, 1140x1567px
>>8810748
You seem like an enlightened guy. Have a nice day sir.
>>
I read four (I think) of his stories, they all seemed to involve the same things and were predictable. Some strange object is investigated by some scholar which leads to madness or some sort of investigation which unveils a monster. Plus, I generally just think his prose is boring.
>>
>>8804933
This

>>8804428
>>8804944
>Hur durr i donts reads him work cos he racist
>never reads Celine
>never reads Kipling
>never reads TS Eliot
>never reads Bernanos
>never reads Roals Dahl
>dies a moron
>>
Over the years I've slowly learned to despise him based on his fanbase alone.
>>
File: 159741269.png (116KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
159741269.png
116KB, 320x371px
>>8808594
>Lovecraft
>one-trick pony

also this>>8809102
At the Mountains of Madness might be the most boring thing he wrote
>>
>>8804115
I realised he was a pretty cool guy when I read Houellebecq's assumptions in Against the World, Against Life that he was essentially an anti-modernist
>>
>>8811363
Charles Dexter Ward is the most boring he wrotes.

Lovecraft is OK but he's no Borgès imho tbqh senpai
>>
My friend has a giant B&N book of his so I decided to read a random story and it was pretty fun to read but nothing moving. People act like he's Borges or something though for the crying of lot 49 out loud.
>>
>>8811388
never read neither of them.
Where should I start with Borgès ?
>>
>>8811327
I have never met a H.P. Lovecraft fan irl
>>
>>8811111
Digits confirm, nigger-hating anon is enlightened.
>>
File: 17717.jpg (22KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
17717.jpg
22KB, 310x475px
>>8811545
Here.
>>
>>8804480
Why didn't you like Silver Key? I loved it but you can see the story us not polished but still it had an impact on me

>>8804691
>Kafka, Melville, Ellison, Maupassant
Good authors but they can't create a solid and dense horror atmosphere. I especially love Melville from the four but I'd only read Moby-dick and there were only a few horror moments.

>>8804418
Ligotti and Clive Barker for me
>>
>>8813384
Have you read it? What other writings are there? Poems, Essays? I thought that was the equivalent of Ficciones in english, which only has short stories.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.