[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Infinite Jest vs Ulysses for a gift to a pleb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

It's my gf's birthday. She only reads things about detectives and serial killers. The most /lit/-related book she has read is Lolita.

Should I get her Infinite Jest or Ulysses?
>>
>>8803300
You should get your nonexistent gf neither.

But great, another 'women are stupid worthless whores'-thread is up and running. Great job
>>
Why not get her a /lit/ book about detectives and/or serial killers? 2666, mayhaps.
>>
>>8803300
>>8803311
these are nice numbers fåm
>>
>>8803300
No. Get her In Cold Blood or something.

You should also be aware that her interest in violent, dangerous men is a symptom of sexual frustration.
>>
>>8803300
buy her Finnegan's Wake
>>
>>8803300
infinite jest is pleb teir. any normie can read that. it's just long. which most normies will be afraid of. omgz more than 250 pages WTFFF that's soooooo long like wtf
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (65KB, 788x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
65KB, 788x1000px
>>8803311
Excellent post, camarade.
>>
>>8803324
>You should also be aware that her interest in violent, dangerous men is a symptom of sexual frustration.
Tell me more.
>>
>>8803329
kill yourself pedofag
>>
>>8803300
IJ is a way easier read than Ulysses
>>
>>8803300
get her "On Women" by Schopenhauer
>>
>buying a plebs ulysses
That's like buying a deaf person high end headphones
>>
>>8803440
kek
>>
Undoubtedly buy her The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. She'll need to step up her reading game to fully appreciate it but it has aspects of everything she'll like and is quite /lit/ as well
>>
>>8803327
yeah but it's not like she's going to read it anyways IJ for most people is just an adornment, something you put on your shelf to make yourself look hip and well-read when you have normies over
>>
>>8803300
Yeah just hand her a doorstopper she's never expressed interest in. Everyone loves that.
>>
>>8803300
why not get her a book about serial killers and detectives?
>>
>>8803300
What is your endgame? Trolling her because you know she won't read it? Hoping to change her reading habits by exposing her to it?

If the latter, she is much, much more likely to get into (and finish) Infinite Jest. Why would you even compare IJ and Ulysses. Infinite Jest is not at all a difficult book. It's just long. Anybody can read and understand it with the knowledge they have now. With Ulysses, knowledge of Irish history and Irish politics of the period are almost essential. Not to mention Dublin slang from the period, literary allusions, etc. Ulysses is a far more recondite text that requires certain crucial understandings to fully grasp it.

The hardest part of Infinite Jest was the Eschaton chapter. and that's just keep acronyms straight in your head.
>>
>>8805041
>Eschaton chapter.
Jesus that made me want to stick my head through the wall
>>
>>8805041
>Eschaton chapter.

I'm almost halfway through it and that was one of the highlights for me so far desu. The only thing that sucks about this book so far is the overuse of "like" and remembering all of the fecking characters
>>
>>8805084
>not sticking your head in a microwave

pleb
>>
>>8803300
Why not just say to her "I'm so insecure I let pseuds on the internet tell me what's good so I can force you to like it too."
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.