[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How far along are you in the trilogy, /lit/? Prove it, ya fraud.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 20

File: image.jpg (589KB, 1525x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
589KB, 1525x1334px
How far along are you in the trilogy, /lit/?

Prove it, ya fraud.
>>
>>8801250
I just need to do gravity b
>>
>>8801250
The old memes are dead
We Jerusalem/Zettels Traum duology now
>>
>>8801250
can i ask a question? i've only read one of these

why is this a meme trilogy at all? why are these always lumped together?
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 469x361px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 469x361px
>>8801250
Out order of 8[
>>
>>8801250
>translations

you fucking idiot
>>
>translations
deletea esto, mi cuate
>>
>>8801250
>joyce
>spanish
>>
>>8801250
you have to go back
>>
File: image.jpg (179KB, 504x756px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179KB, 504x756px
>>8801277
Endless Fun is training wheels, V2 is 2 tabs of acid, and Mrs Yes is the face of God.

The Son, the Father, and the Holy Ghost.
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 362x520px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 362x520px
>>8801280
>>8801281
>>8801286
Being this new...
>>
>>8801291
thx
>>
>>8801277
It's an old /lit/ tradition that goes back for thousands of years.

One cannot claim to be well-read and not have read all three of these books by sophomore year.
>>
>>8801250
>espanol
yo espero en serio que ustedes no lo hacen
>>
>>8801319
ah yes. this makes sense to me now

*deckard cain voice*
sometimes the old ways are best
>>
>Translations of Ulysses.
>>
>>8801250
>reading translations
Tenés que irte de vuelta.
>>
Jajaja que gil de mierda jajajaja sos un hijo de puta
>>
>>8801250
Only IJ. GR and Ulysses beckon. Which should I read first?
>>
>>8801639
Gravitys Rainbow. Unless of course you want to say you've read Ulysses because only autistic Irishmen can genuinely enjoy it and see it as something more than technical masturbation
>>
Halfway through GR, loving it. Been seeing some IJ hate on this board lately, so I may not read it right away. I'm not ready for Ulysses either.

I'll take my time and won't read it for the sake of completing the trilogy.
>>
>>8801663
>Been seeing some IJ hate on this board lately, so I may not read it right away.
That's retarded
>>
I read Gravity's Rainbow long before I discovered this board, have no immediate desire to read Ulysses soon and have no desire to read Infinite Jest ever. Honestly everything by Joyce bores me to tears and Wallace reads like Stephen King + 1950s copy pasta Merck manuals
>>
>>8801250
GR and IJ down
>>
>>8801666
I'll read it eventually, but I'm strapped for time so I'll read some shorter books with universal acclaim
>>
File: GfZq8Qa.png (169KB, 599x604px) Image search: [Google]
GfZq8Qa.png
169KB, 599x604px
si de verdad estás leyendo las traducciones te aconsejo que te pegues un tiro
>>
File: supercool.gif (1MB, 390x293px) Image search: [Google]
supercool.gif
1MB, 390x293px
There is only one book left. Two, if you count God.
>>
>>8801711
Holy.....
>>
>>8801250
You shouldn't be allowed to post without finishing all three, desu
>>
>>8801250
Finished IJ and GR and am on the Oxen of the Sun in Ulysses,
>>
1/3 read GR
>>
Is there any reason why I should read Ulysses?
>>
>>8801273
wait, what the fuck, when did the glorious era of 2666 / The Recognitions / The Tunnel end?
>>
>>8801250
>EL ARCO IRIS DE GRAVEDAD
Translations can be fine if they're done well, but that's fucking atrocious.
>>
>>8802149
I think the fact that it is the best novel ever written should be enough of a reason.
>>
>>8802196
[Citation needed]
>>
>>8802196
It is far from the best novel ever written.
>>
>>8802197
Cite me
>>8802198
Name 10 that are better.
>>
Of the three, IJ was the only one I enjoyed enough to read twice. And it's better the second time.
>>
>>8802199
>Name 10 that are better.
Moby Dick x10
>>
File: t.png (82KB, 250x272px) Image search: [Google]
t.png
82KB, 250x272px
>>8801250
>two books by same publisher
>the spine writing is top to bottom on one book and bottom to top on the other
>>
>>8801250
Oh my god, fucking stop this meme
You are all fanatics
>>
>>8801326
>>8801585
buen español pa
>>8802158
What's the problem there? explain
>>
Currently on Dubliners
>>
>>8802220
No, it's just that OP placed Ulysses down the opposite way you sperg
>>
File: debolsillo.jpg (6KB, 300x150px) Image search: [Google]
debolsillo.jpg
6KB, 300x150px
>>8802519
look at the logos on the spines
it's the logo of debolsillo but i wouldn't expect a fucknut like you to know that
>>
>>8802622
>2 syllables
lmao
>>
>>8801250
>How far along are you in the trilogy, /lit/?
Ulysses: read
GR: no intention to read any time soon
IJ: read twice
>Prove it, ya fraud
w/e
>>
>>8802211
Oh, you're a pseud who doesn't actually read. Well, I'll be damned, didn't expect that.
>>
>>8801250
Read all of them in chronological order.

>Ulysses
Had real difficulties with first chapters, then I started to understand something thanks to the notes. My favorite chapter is probably Nausicaa and Circe.

>Gravity's Rainbow
my favorite of the three, superb from the first page to the last. Not 100% sure on what's going on in the last chapters were Slothrop looses is characterization but an experience, great. I want to reread it one day.

>Infinite Jest
I have mixed feelings about it. Clearly is inferior to the other two, sometimes is difficult just for the sake of being difficult, but has some gems in it like Van Dyne character, or the Eschaton chapter, but there are characters who are all the same they got an addiction and got crippled in stupid ways, and some of the Gately chapters are just boring. The narrative sometimes just feels too much disjointed and the last chapters, when you think are getting it, become much slower and end in nothing. Can't say I love it.
>>
>>8801250
>traduccion de Ulysses

Puedes borrar esto, por favor?
>>
>>8801250
>/lit/
>traducciones
>la trilogía de /lit/

Buen bait.
>>
Jajajaja. Me despollo, tronco.
>>
I don't mind GR or IJ being translations but Ulysses translations trigger me
>>
which order i read the trilogy?

>gr > ulysses > ij?
>>
>Ulysses
Read 4 times
>GR
Might read at some point, far into the future.
>IJ
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>translations of English books

What the fuck is wrong with you, you are using English every single day anyway, why don't you just improve your knowledge and read them in originals?
>>
>>8802498
Assuming OP is a frequent /lit/ fag, he/she must be at least a bit fluent in english, therfore he has no real reason to read a translation of a book written in english, since he/she should be abel to read english.
Of course, also assuming that OP can get hold of the english versions of those books. I can, but because i doownload them on my kindle, but getting a physical copy can be quite difficult. My nearest bookstore´s english section only has YA, classics. Stpehen King and other best sellers.
>>
>>8801250
Just read Portrait recently so I'm ready to tackle Ulysses. Want to finish Moby Dick first though, and I'm reading about 10 books right now so they're all going at a pretty glacial pace.
>>
>>8802959
I am also a "frequent /lit/fag" and I am also reading a translation of Ulysses (considered the best translation to my language) on purpose. Yes, getting the translation was easier and cheaper, but I am doing it merely for curiosity and also I think it'd be cool to read such a complex book in different languages, but yes, I understand, original works are unique and I have full intention of reading it in english soon.
>>
>>8802936

No, Ulysses first of course
>>
>>8803034
and ij last? thanks
>>
>>8803040

Yes; in other words, chronological order
>>
>>8803288
>tfw started with ij and now on gr, without having read ul
shit

>>8803472
if you couldn't figure out the meaning of congruent without a dictionary, you deserve your YA grave.
>>
>>8803562

That's okay though, there's value too in going through in reverse chronological order. It's just a matter of seeing the influences/references after the fact
>>
File: newtrology7.jpg (220KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
newtrology7.jpg
220KB, 850x500px
>>8801273
>>
>>8801250
I'm not usually in the >translations crowd but

>Reading Joyce in translation
>>
>>8801250
>reading translation of english books while being perfectly able to read in english (as evident by you browsing 4chan)
>reading them in fucking spanish of all languages

kys my good hombre
>>
>>8803831
>if you can read shitposts you will get more out of complicated literature in English than in a translation
this meme needs to stop
>>
>>8802689
>Oh, you're a pseud who doesn't actually read. Well, I'll be damned, didn't expect that.

Whatever makes you feel better about repeating the standard line you hear from the people you're impressed with, kitten.
>>
>>8802155
Best trilogy DESU. The Tunnel is peak /lit/
>>
read GR at 16, IJ at 20, U at 22 :)
>>
>>8802498
Es el titulo se refiere al arcoiris de la gravedad, no un arcoiris hecho de gravedad. El titulo esta traduciendo Rainbow of Gravity y no Gravity's Rainbow.
>>
>>8801250
I had the luck of don't read Infinite Jest.
>>
Papi, hágale huevos y léalos en inglés.
>>
>>8801572
I feel the same with translations of Don Quixote.
>>
>>8801663
If you finish GR your'e ready for Ulysses
>>
>>8804609
It's funny because in Don Quijote, Cervantes literally memes >translations, but in all honesty, language is not as important in Don Quijote as it is on Ulysses.
>>
File: 20161205_171041.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161205_171041.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>condition-good
>>
>>8804665
It is. The only difference is that he doesn't use as many puns as Joyce.
>>
Only read Ulysses, is GR more difficult?
>>
>>8804685
It is more complicated to grasp the themes but easier to read on a page to page basis
>>
>>8804690
I'm quiet bad at grasping themes, any preparatory books/Reading you'd recommend?
>>
>>8804705
V. has some similar themes and it's easier to read.
I jumped right in. It's an enjoyable read so I'd say just dive in and maybe explore it in more depth on a second read. If you are too lost you can use the wiki which has page to page explanations.
http://gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/?title=Main_Page
>>
>>8801250
Pyncheon???

Never
>>
>>8802211
Moby Dick is worse.
>>
reading ulysses now, did ij once and gr twice
>>
Spanish translations of English

Must been worse then every translation into English.
>>
>>8801250
Read A, barely understand it

Am reading B, Understand it a lot better

Need to read C
>>
Just have GR to go senpai.
>>
>>8804802
>Moby Dick is worse.

Pfft. It's a masterpiece that lends itself to different interpretation, with symbolism and themes one could contemplate at length. The lyric lushness of the prose demonstrates why Melville thought of himself primarily as a poet.

Ulysses's greatness is a meme. It's a trophy book for people who want to read it so they can say they read it and feel better than those who haven't. Which is a shitty reason to read.

If you think Ulysses is so great, read FW. And if you can be suckered into singing FW's praises, read it backwards like Hebrew, and tell yourself how smart your pants are.

I've read all three. Infinite Jest is the only one that made me feel anything. GR isn't even Pynchon's greatest work. I'd rate it no higher than third among his books.
>>
>>8802158
Is a bad translation of 70's and the only in spanish.
>>
>>8803562
>shit

Don't care. Ulysses don't have many relation with the others.
>>
>>8803831
Kek.
>>
>>8801250
I hadn't read IJ. :)
>>
>>8802155
that's the patrician trilogy, only available to high-level syndexioi
>>
File: image.jpg (162KB, 948x719px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162KB, 948x719px
>>8801663
There's IJ hate because IJ is a /lit/ joke.

David Faggot Walrus lifted all the halfway house characters' stories from people he lived with in a halfway house—without telling them. And lifted the whole Eschaton section from End Zone—and apologized for it. The best writing is all in the first ten pages.

Notice how all the symbols in the book feel hollow? According to Mary Karr (google 'lit'—it's her autobiography) whose name Career Move actually tattooed on himself and then later amended with a fucking footnote (seriously)—according to her, Walrus said all the symbols are shoved in there because 'they're cool'.
>>
I'm halfway through IJ and going to GR afterwards, then returning to philosophy with Schop's WAW&R volumes which will take quite some time I reckon.

I've heard conflicting things about Ulysses. Don't you need quite a few pre-reqs for it? I saw a picture of a page on here once and I remember the writing style made me NOPE
>>
>>8801250
Deja de leer mierda anon.
>>
>>8805517

Source on the Eschaton allegation?
>>
>>8801302
The dude has copies of all 3 in spanish

SOmeone must be really devoted to memes.
>>
>>8805921
>>8806101
https://www.pynchon.net/articles/10.16995/orbit.127/

He's over exaggerating slightly, in my opinion. The main Character of End Zone, Harkness, has an obsession with (worrying about) nuclear war, he also loves football, eventually he conflates the two. Though to be far DFW did at one point say that:

"I have a horrible feeling that my career is going to come to an end" or something of that sort
>>
>>8801250
Ulysses is one of my favourite novels
Zero interest in reading Gravity's Rainbow
Zero interest in reading Infinite Jest
>>
>>8804891
>Ulysses's greatness is a meme. It's a trophy book for people who want to read it so they can say they read it and feel better than those who haven't. Which is a shitty reason to read.

Okay, I'm about to fall for what must be bait because this is just an idiotic ad hominem by someone who is afraid of a novel he found difficult. I guess Nabokov, who claimed it was the greatest novel of the 20th century, just said that to look smart? And the 125 contemporary authors polled who put Joyce only behind Tolstoy and Shakespeare as the greatest writer of all time? I mean, praising Moby Dick for "the lyric lushness of its prose" and then trashing Ulysses in the same breath is incredible. Did you even read Proteus? Sirens? Ithaca? It's the most lyrical prose ever written in English FFS.

Oh, and dumb people say exactly the same thing you said about Infinite Jest too.
>>
>>8806221

I didn't find it particularly difficult. I just didn't find it more than occasionally enjoyable. It was certainly a great achievement in its time, but reading it in this long afterwards, in a world it did a lot to shape, it's not that remarkable. It's like listening to Sgt. Pepper now; we can appreciate it as a great album, but there is no way to appreciate the impact it had in its time and place.

What you have left are works that are more remarkable for their time than for what they offer an audience today.

Someone who wants to consider themselves well-read should read all the great books, but they needn't rave about them in ways they feel like validate them and signify that they are next-level. It's perfectly all right to read something highly-praised and find it to be much less than you had been led to expect, which was my experience with Ulysses.

Of the three, IJ is certainly the most accessible read. People can hold that against it if they like. But I found it more moving and thought-provoking, funnier and sadder, vastly more human. If you'd rather take Ulysses to a desert island, I'm nothing but happy for you. I know which one I'd take.
>>
>>8805921
>>8806181
DT Max's biography of DFW.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 552x526px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 552x526px
>>8806355
You've had a sheltered life lad.
>>
File: 1462832230811.jpg (17KB, 260x273px) Image search: [Google]
1462832230811.jpg
17KB, 260x273px
>>8806355
>being a philistine
>>
>>8806355
>It's perfectly all right to read something highly-praised and find it to be much less than you had been led to expect
but apparently it's not perfectly all right to read it and then realize that all of the praise is justified? You say Ulysses is a great book, but get triggered when I call it the greatest novel of all time. Why is it such a stretch that a novel which you consider great could be considered by others to be the greatest? Ulysses isn't just about linguistic games and references to classic literature. It's an amazing book because it brings its main character to life like no other book I've ever read.
>vastly more human
I'm starting to doubt that you have actually read Ulysses. DFW was a snob at heart and his characters pale in comparison to Leopold Bloom.
>>
File: images (1).png (19KB, 474x310px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).png
19KB, 474x310px
>>8801250
Finished it
>>
>>8802959
Can't you realize the huge difference between reading some posts in English written in an ordinary way and a whole book of 600/700/800 pages?

You are obviously a monolingual English speaker.
>>
>>8806355
>implying Sgt. Peppers will be remembered in 100 years when all the krautrock giants are already slowly surpassing the Pleabtles as their non-influence on rock music outside of popomania is slowly revealed
>>
>>8806818
>DT Max's biography of DFW.

Not that I recall.
>>
>>8806966
>It's an amazing book because it brings its main character to life like no other book I've ever read.

You should read more books.
>>
>>8808193
>>implying Sgt. Peppers will be remembered in 100 years when all the krautrock giants are already slowly surpassing the Pleabtles as their non-influence on rock music outside of popomania is slowly revealed

You are clearly intoxicated with your own iconoclasm, and I hope you enjoy the buzz, but--I'm a big Krautrock fan myself. Who do you imagine is going to surpass The Beatles in popular regard? Can? Neu!? Amon Duul? Kraftwerk? Harmonia? Faust? This seems exceedingly unlikely.
>>
I read them all in 2015. I understand why it's part of the meme but IJ really doesn't belong with the other two and isn't even DFW's best work.
>>
i can't be bothered to read infinite jest. i read brief interviews and it was good but i don't fancy a giant doorstopper of it

i've read the other two and they were neat
>>
>>8808631
If you read brief interviews, you really don't need to read any of his other fiction because that's as good as it gets. His essays/articles can be fun too I guess but you'd have to be a fan of that kind of writing to really get into it.
>>
>>8808611
Nor is GR Pynchon's best novel.
>>
File: image.jpg (139KB, 637x386px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139KB, 637x386px
>>8808576
That's where speed reading gets ya
>>
>>8809268
I'm pretty clear on the bio. You're saying there was a game along the lines of Eschaton that residents of the halfway house DFW experienced played?
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 480x282px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 480x282px
>>8809278
You're clear on the bio, misread the post, didnt read IJ, and are asking an intensely dumb question.

Go back to jk hi /lit/izen
>>
>>8801250
>IJ
read 200 pages and stopped. might go back to it in a month
>U
im not gonna lie, its too big of a challenge for me
>GR
good. i was expecting something harder desu. its fun and detailed. this is the kind of fun challenge i was expecting from IJ
>>
File: image.jpg (293KB, 959x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
293KB, 959x1500px
>>8809306
>IJ
>Challenge
>>
>>8804142
Yeah this is best trilogy also 2666 is best 2000
>>
>>8809059
It is though. M&Dfags can fuck right off.
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 404x316px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 404x316px
>>8802155
The first is the Walrus/Pinecone/Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunnt-rovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk Trilology
>>
>>8806355
>but reading it in this long afterwards, in a world it did a lot to shape, it's not that remarkable.
That's completely wrong though. Molly's chapter without punctuation is not remarkable today? Stephen's language is not remarkable today? Oxen of the Sun is not remarkable today? I don't see how anyone could possibly have read Ulysses and believe that.

>It's like listening to Sgt. Pepper now; we can appreciate it as a great album, but there is no way to appreciate the impact it had in its time and place.
This is some weird teleological argument that literature progresses and improves, which is totally absurd because unlike music there is no technological progress in its production. Writing is exactly the same as it has been for thousands of years.

>But I found it more moving and thought-provoking, funnier and sadder, vastly more human.
Bloom is the most human character in literature. Come on. To compare Joyce's all-encompassing vision of humanity with Wallace's self-obsessed navel-gazing is a joke.
>>
>>8805857
The writing style is literally different in each chapter so you may have got the wrong impression
>>
>>8808580
Name a single character in literally anything with more complex characterization than Bloom or Stephen
>>
>>8801711
I want more...
>>
>>8809290
>You're clear on the bio, misread the post, didnt read IJ, and are asking an intensely dumb question.

Not sure what I said to hurt your feelings. I read the bio and I did misread the post. The fact that someone had some experience that served as research doesn't mean they lifted all the stories presented in their work; this is a silly and unfounded reduction. Melville went to sea; it doesn't mean he 'lifted' all his stories set on the sea.

People don't find the Eschaton scene memorable for whatever the game itself may reference in DeLillo's work. That's like saying Young Frankenstein is 'lifted' from Frankenstein.
>>
>>8809535
>It is though. M&Dfags can fuck right off.

M&D is only his second-best novel. Why don't you read everything he wrote before you decide which is best?
>>
>>8810313
It's clearly not as remarkable today as it was at the time and in the context of its release.

Both Art forms build on what came before them, and if they are influential enough, as Ulysses and Sgt. Peeper are, have some DNA in much of what follows afterwards. Which makes them less remarkable to those raised in a world through which the effect of that work has echoes.

I don't think I compared the two books. what I said was I found IJ vastly more entertaining and enjoyable and moving.
>>
>>8810499
>Name a single character in literally anything with more complex characterization than Bloom or Stephen

Humbert Humbert, and vastly.
Thread posts: 135
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.