[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you learn to read fast aka stop subvocalizing? And can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: yo kid.png (70KB, 528x369px) Image search: [Google]
yo kid.png
70KB, 528x369px
How do you learn to read fast aka stop subvocalizing?
And can you go thru walls of text without losing any details?
>>
I've heard it's good to read with your finger. Also, you will always lose some details or meaning by reading very quickly, but it's good for nonfiction I guess
>>
>>8799620
Read How To Read a Book

And yes, with practice, you can read a dense page in a few seconds and get more out of it then a normal schmuck would.

All literary giants were what we'd now call 'speed readers'.
>>
Read this paper:
http://psi.sagepub.com/content/17/1/4.full

"Subvocalization = bad" is a myth created by the hucksters trying to shill their speed-reading program. The problem is that subvocalization is intrinsic to the way we learn and understand language. Getting rid of subvocalization will hurt your comprehension immensely.

Furthermore, as the paper suggests, the main reasons why certain notable people have been able to "speedread" (or, more accurately, skim) texts with decent comprehension are because 1) they might have already read the text and 2) they already know so much about the background of the text that they can easily sniff out the important bits. (and yes, the paper does say this: ctrl+f Kennedy)
>>
>>8799660
This. So the trick is to speed up your subvocalization. Watch Youtube etc. at 2x speed to get used to fast speech.
>>
I've developed a technique of reading only the first and last letter of a word.
>>
>>8799745
I've developed a similar technique of not reading any of the letters and bluffing my way through life. It's good until postgrad, but then you have to start skimming wikis.
>>
Try sprizlet for a while, then carry on without it.
http://www.spritzlet.com/
>>
>>8799713
is this a meme or real, I might try it
>>
it's funny how i can read without subvocalizing but the minute someone writes "subvocalizing" i have to start reading everything with my thinking voice fuck
>>
Use your finger
>>8801532
Lol same
>>
>>8799660

What's worse, if you read without subvocalisation you miss out on the rhythm and timbre of the text. Even if you "understand" everything, you can't hear the music. At that point, why bother with fiction? Why not read something useful?
>>
>>8799620
Fuck off Clement
>>
File: 1442525261995.jpg (37KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
1442525261995.jpg
37KB, 396x382px
At least there's sensible posts ITT

The bottom line will always be: read moar you scrub.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.