[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Becoming the best writer of all time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 328941284903182094.jpg (63KB, 600x476px) Image search: [Google]
328941284903182094.jpg
63KB, 600x476px
Knowing what we know now about all literary greats, story telling, writing, etc., how would a person in 2016 go about becoming a literary giant?

For example, perhaps starting strong with poetry writing to become an expert sentence constructor (Joyce did this I believe). What else?
>>
>>8798681
No matter what, you gotta actually write.
You'll never become great if you sit on your ass on /lit/ instead of writing.
>>
>>8798683
this makes a lot of sense
>>
Step 1: Realise that writing a talent, not a skill
Step 2: Realise that you have no talent
Step 3: Become a creative writing teacher
>>
It is impossible. Art is no longer important enough in the lives of the middle class, at least in North America and western europe. Even if you were Joyce, you might not even get published
>>
>>8798683
true

>>8798689
true and depressing

idk anon. look at mccarthy. the guy just fucking slogged at it and mailed his book when it was finished to the only publisher he knew. he didn't want to spend his life working

melville travelled the world, did stuff, got obsessed, finished it

the neetch went insane

i always thought lacan had a good piece of advice: Traverse the Fantasy. everybody has one lunatic obsession that will produce 12000 terrible ideas. i think a good story is just the one version that gets to the finish line and avoids becoming one of those

i don't know. but browsing /lit/ is perversely fun because shitposting feeds my need for attention. it's probably a bad idea in the long run tho
>>
>>8798695
it's impossible to attain a level of writing equal or greater to the greatest writers of all time (the original question)? Or is it impossible to be recognized as such, in the most socially connected time in the history of humanity where fucking Stephen King or Da Vinci Code is considered the best writing most people have ever read?
>>
start
with
the
greeks
>>
The same way you become great at anything else. Bust your ass, practice, have some raw talent for it, have discipline and resilience to stay persistent
>>
>>8798689
>>8798695
>>8798699
absolute plebbery
>>
>>8798689
Step 1: Realize that writing is an art
Step 2: Understand that even if someone begins talented at something, the vast majority of their skill comes from practice
Step 3: Dedicate yourself to furthering your own ability regardless of others. There is nothing more noble than becoming greater than your former self.
Step 4: Present yourself as your own man, and stand with confidence in the face of overwhelming opposition. Believe that through your work you can espouse deeper virtues in your writing than making people feel "good" after reading it.You can show everyone true meaning. Give them complex thoughts and feelings they may want to shy away from, for fear of the unknown. Do not let people have happy solitude in their ideals. Show them greatness in its own. Show them unfettered enlightenment.
Step 5: Become depressed and kill yourself.
>>
>>8798683
You can't force someone to write. Its like the idea of "The Muse". One does not produce art on their own, but they feel an overwhelming force that inspires them. It can come at any time, but when it does you have no choice but to expel.
>>
>>8800440
Points 1 through 3 are valid. Publishers frown on part 5 since they prefer repeat customers.
>>
>>8800480
Whats wrong if part 4? is it too bombastic?
>>
>>8800491
Pretty much, yeah.
>>
>>8800529
I have an issue where If I don't have anything of substance to say I'll just bullshit vaguely erudite sounding things until something comes to mind.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.