[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this not in /LIT/ top 100 book >Pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: ADD THIS.jpg (262KB, 1125x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ADD THIS.jpg
262KB, 1125x1500px
Why is this not in /LIT/ top 100 book

>Pic related
>>
why should someone read this book
why should we have been aware of it before now

don't just post the cover of a book and expect us all to swoon
>>
>>8798421
the girl i love gifted me this book. i read until the 50th page or so, but it just doesn't entertain me. and not just this, dystopian/utopian (or other sci-fi, fantastic, "un-personal") books do no longer entertain me.
does it get "insightful" and/or personal in later chapters?
>>
>>8798427
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6kbU88wu0
>>8798436
oh well it gets interesting in the end
also it depends on the translation I just read it in Russian cause I am bad at English

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/195547/we-by-yevgeny-zamyatin/9780812974621/
>>
>>8798442
is there a lot of "[sentence] .... [sentence]" in original too? what does this mean? the word was lost in printing? the author intented this? what are these?
>>
Why isn't this, desu -- >>8798378
>>
>>8798421
Is it a novel? What is it about?
>>
>>8798446
I didn't find them
>>8798451
Dystopia novel

Similar to Brave new world but far better
>>
>>8798446
Found proper translation

http://libgen.io/foreignfiction/get.php?md5=58413d26e46790edc78125d5c0df2729&key=QI65KI5GJB884563
>>
>>8798452
Thank you, it seems very interesting
>>
File: image.jpg (202KB, 1024x341px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
202KB, 1024x341px
>>8798421
Now THAT is how to shitpost.
>>
>>8798478
Indeed it is :) give it a try
>>
>>8798503
>image.jpg
Reddit please
>>
>WE
>>
>>8798421
but it is
>>
>>8798421
Because it's not a great book? Wait, a lot of books on that list are not great.

Personally, I found it lackluster. Yes, it is influential, but not as great as the other books in the genre, thus it belongs in the general list of "dystopian literature".
>>
>>8798421
WUZ
>>
>>8798421
Because it's not good.
The totalitarian society depicted is so ineffective and self-destructive and implausible and weak that it cannot be taken seriously. The author can't be commenting on or dealing with any real totalitarianism. It can only be an allegory, a base and fanciful warning. It's bad, Star Trek level pulp.
And for what? All it's for is a nostalgiac affirmation of bourgeois values, neither reactionary nor revolutionary; a celebration of the importance of the mediocre without any real statement of how to save it.
Honestly, I rred to the end assuming that there'd be some sort of revelation that the First Citizen or what's his face. Something to explain or justify his pettiness and incompetence and hypocrisy. But Zemyatin apparently thought that just this was what the ruler of such a society would be like.
To be sure, it's not the worst book, and it's easy to see how the basic ideas could blow someone quite young's mind. But it's not good either, especially when books better and even better known have been written on the same themes- Notes from Underground, 1984.
I disliked What Is To Be Done? too, but this skiffy claptrap was no better.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.