[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

which translation should i read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: cover.jpg.rendition.460.707.png (300KB, 458x707px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg.rendition.460.707.png
300KB, 458x707px
which translation should i read?
>>
>>8797117
>translations
>>
>>8797129
Papa Bloom is disappointed senpai.

>>8797032
>>
>>8797134
that fucking eggman can suck my dick
>>
File: make me cry evritiem.jpg (13KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
make me cry evritiem.jpg
13KB, 250x350px
>>8797146
>>
>>8797117

desu Proust survives translation very well. All of them read like masterpieces of English prose.
>>
>>8797178
Frenchman here. I agree with this. I skimmed through a few English translations of Proust, and they felt amazingly close to the original, especially Moncrieff.

It's not like translated CĂ©line or Racine, where you lose all the flavour.
>>
>>8797229
>Frenchman here
Yeah, go ahead and fuck off. Your judgment of English prose means literally nothing to anyone
>>
>>8797264
Shucks, your extreme retardation reminds me why I stopped going on /lit/ until yesterday.
>>
>>8797117
Lydia Davis for Swann's way, for the rest you should just read the latest editions of the Moncrieff/Enbright translation.
>>
>>8797365
>Lydia Davis for Swann's way

Why?
>>
>>8797264
Nobody worth something thinks like you kid. You're trying too hard.
>>
>>8797178
>>8797229
>>8797264
As a native speaker of both languages - parents divorced so I split time between France and Scotland - I agree with the initial point overall. Some of the longer sentences with all their sub clauses get a bit clunky in English if you aren't used to mentally juggling several sub-ideas that conclude and casually return to the main idea. This is especially true in Moncrieff where he seems to want to keep the length even where English is just not as well set up to deal with it. That said, he and - to the degree I've looked at them - the newer translators keep the conversational tone that dominates and makes it far 'lighter' reading than people expect. They of course hit the few purple prose passages where Proust gets onto flowers and lighting and art and whatnot but they do a great job of maintaining the fundamental gliding humor of most scenes that is the real gem of his writing.

I've not read the new penguin in full - just the second volume and glances through the others - but they claim to keep the humor to the fore where - to their reading - Moncrieff sometimes leaves it too buried between the lines. Maybe those are better to more modern sensibilities so let your own reading background guide you there. Still, there's a reason the Moncrieff prize for translation still exists and why until recently no one bothered about another translation of Proust.
>>
>>8797117
>translation
Learn french you lazy scum.
>>
>>8797431
I can't afford fancy restaurant food anyway, what use is it to me?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.