[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he the greatest prose writer in the English language?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0263.jpg (16KB, 200x313px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0263.jpg
16KB, 200x313px
>>
>>8795385
literally who
>>
>>8795412
You do not belong here.
>>
>>8795412
haha you stupid idiot you couldn't identify a second rate 17th century writer from an unmarked portrait alone? hows middle school you fuckin pleb xDD
>>8795434
ya you told him op!!!
>>
Definitely top five. Where in that list depends on your taste.
>>
>>8795446
gris retard
>>
>>8795446
>second rate

How does it feel being a pleb?
>>
>>8795385

whats your favourite thing by him that you like op
>>
>Thomas Browne
Works:
–Religio Medici (1643)
–Pseudodoxia Epidemica (1646–72)
–Hydriotaphia, Urn Burial (1658)
–The Garden of Cyrus (1658)
–A Letter to a Friend (1656; pub. 1690)
–Christian Morals (1670s; pub. 1716)
–Musaeum Clausum Tract 13 from Miscellaneous Tracts first pub. 1684

Quotes:
>Man is a noble animal, splendid in ashes, and pompous in the grave.
Absurd
>We all labor against our own cure, for death is the cure of all diseases.
Cynical
>All things are artificial, for nature is the art of God.
Christcuck

Unless you give some reason, some passage you like, nobody is going to care about you prose.
>>
>>8795385
Yes, he is. I love Shakespeare, and quite frankly, I think he is the greatest English prose writer that ever existed.
>>
>>8795463

Now since these dead bones have already out-lasted the living ones of Methuselah, and in a yard under ground, and thin walls of clay, out-worn all the strong and specious buildings above it; and quietly rested under the drums and tramplings of three conquests; What Prince can promise such diuturnity unto his Reliques, or might not gladly say,

Sic ego componi versus in ossa velim.

Time which antiquates Antiquities, and hath an art to make dust of all things, hath yet spared these minor Monuments. In vain we hope to be known by open and visible conservatories, when to be unknown was the means of their continuation and obscurity their protection: If they dyed by violent hands, and were thrust into their Urnes, these bones become considerable, and some old Philosophers would honour them, whose souls they conceived most pure, which were thus snatched from their bodies; and to retain a stranger propension unto them: whereas they weariedly left a languishing corps, and with faint desires of re-union. If they fell by long and aged decay, yet wrapt up in the bundle of time, they fall into indistinction, and make but one blot with Infants. If we begin to die when we live, and long life be but a prolongation of death; our life is a sad composition; We live with death, and die not in a moment. How many pulses made up the life of Methuselah, were work for Archimedes: Common Counters summe up the life of Moses his man. Our dayes become considerable like petty sums by minute accumulations; where numerous fractions make up but small round numbers; and our dayes of a span long make not one little finger.
>>
>>8795463
>post quotes
>uses buzzwords to disprove them
>>
>>8795468
lol
>>
>>8795499
Disapprove of them.

>>8795492
Now this should have been in the OP.
What do you think of Walter Pater?
>>
>>8795574
First elaborate your dislike of them.
>>
File: handstwisted.jpg (56KB, 450x325px) Image search: [Google]
handstwisted.jpg
56KB, 450x325px
>>8795637
And shall "second" be, you opinion of Pater?

The first quote may be taken out of context, but left on it's own makes little sense to me.

The second is quite plainly cynical. I am anti-cynic.

The third is simpleton crap. From these three I can only tell the man was devoutly Christian and eager for the grave. His prose may be good, or "the best" but if you aren't writing anything good, I'd just as soon pass.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.