[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophy of Reality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: Untitled.jpg (345KB, 1078x824px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
345KB, 1078x824px
When I was in college, my professor told our class a story about a group of sociologists who traveled to Northern Canada to a settlement of Eskimos. They had lived there for thousands of years and had never seen civilization. When the sociologists took a group of them to New York City, they couldn't see the skyscrapers. They had grown up in a world of flat ice with few, if any, vertical planes of reference--the buildings were simply too big for them to comprehend. This is supported by a simple study conducted on kittens, in which one group was given goggles with vertical lines on them and the other goggles with horizontal lines. The group which grew up wearing goggles with vertical lines had trouble seeing horizontally-elongated objects, and vice versa. The question is, if our perception is but a slice of reality and our abilities are conditioned by our world and experiences, what really is "out there" that may be perceptible to some, but not others?

I am looking for some reading on the philosophy of reality. I am interested in the challenges against consensus reality that phenomena like the story above, altered states of consciousness--lucid dreams or astral projection--so-called "hallucinations," or the information accessible through psychedelics, brings. The very fact that by ingesting a substance one can suddenly be transported to different planes of existence begs questions like, "Where am I?" I'm looking for something rigorous and systematic. I've been searching for the psychedelic side and the best thing I've found is https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/drugs-and-the-meaning-of-life, which unfortunately only touches on the issue. The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge was entertaining, but as I hear it Castaneda has been discredited, and it certainly is not a book of philosophy.
>>
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>8794787
>When the sociologists took a group of them to New York City, they couldn't see the skyscrapers.
Going to call bullshit on that
>>
>>8794787
David Foster Wallace - Everything is Green (from Girl With Curious Hair)
A man's young wife looks out their window and sees nature ("Everything is green"), but all the older husband can see is how nature has decayed by the gradual intervention of man.
>>
>>8794787
>begs questions
Hrrrummph

Nagel and his ideas on bats.
>>
The Phenomenology of Spirit.
>>
File: kw.jpg (197KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kw.jpg
197KB, 1920x1080px
>>8794787
maybe consciousness savant and transcendentally inclined boomer supremo ken wilber?

>inb4 fuck off turbopseud
>tfw turbopseud
>>
Phillip k dick
>>
File: descartes-looking-fly.png (89KB, 310x216px) Image search: [Google]
descartes-looking-fly.png
89KB, 310x216px
>>8794817
>tfw give him the dick
>>
>>8794795
OP (or his prof) fucked up because the Eskimos could actually see the materials which made up the buildings but they initially failed to recognize the object of a skyscraper.

If you've ever looked at "illusory" images like the old/young woman or the rabbit/duck head you would know what I am talking about. The reality is that those images are just 2D lines on a paper but our brain constructs a classification based on previously observed phenomena.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.