[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are antiheroes the best kind of protagonists?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: Raskolnikov.jpg (138KB, 776x564px) Image search: [Google]
Raskolnikov.jpg
138KB, 776x564px
Are antiheroes the best kind of protagonists?
>>
>>8794248
They are genrally good because they are flawed.
If a character is a Gary Stu or a selfinsert with the only flaw of being too good then they end up being flat.
If a character has aproblem that differs with society and is one that he has to work to solve or to try and lvie with he will evolve and overcome in his own way the boulders in his path. Look at Don Quijote, he starts crazy as fuck, fighting the mills and all that but in the end he ha a more pesimistic cyinc way of seeing the world because of his experiences as an almost free man. The same goes for Sancho, he starts shavy and sharp and ends up dellusional and more open to extravagant ideas.

Now that I've answered this thread's questino lets make this a

TOP TIER ANTIHEROES IN LITERATURE.
>>
Is Meursault an antihero? An antivillain?
>>
Rodya did nothing wrong
>>
>>8794376
An antihero is a protagonist lacking heroic qualities, because protagonist and hero were synonymous and it was normal to make him/her an upstanding individual in certain respects. If the protagonist is functionally a villain, he or she is an antihero by definition.

So yes, he's an antihero.
>>
>>8794369
Grendel (Gardner, 1971)

I cant think of a better antihero than one attempting to cope with his role as a villain, a role forced onto him by every living creature he encounters.
>>
Heathcliff.
>>
File: Travis_Bickle.jpg (632KB, 1200x833px) Image search: [Google]
Travis_Bickle.jpg
632KB, 1200x833px
>>8794248
They aint anti-heroes son, they're the real good guys
>>
>>8794369
Hi Doom.
>>
>>8794369
This is such a reddit pseud answer
>>
Raskolnikov did NOTHING wrong
>>
Well all modern lit that isn't genre fiction has anti-hero protagonists, so I suppose so.
>>
Wow... the axe is facing the wrong way if that guy is trying to kill her.
>>
>>8795167

haha great rebuttal reddit le reddit haha
>>
>>8795188
You think a young man couldn't kill an old woman with the blunt side?
>>
File: faggot.jpg (61KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
61KB, 800x534px
>>8794369
>>8795190
Ok fine let me break it down, the assertion is childishly simplistic and has zero explanative value. Its just a cliche regurgitation of trite pop-wisdom that no one will find inherently objectionable hence why it would be perfectly at home at reddit. Much like yourself
>>
>>8794369
>gary stu

hi reddet
>>
>implying you can assign objective character "roles" to any literature that isn't tripe
>>
>>8795217

You haven't broken anything down. How about you address his observations with actual arguments instead of insisting that it's a "cliche regurgitation of trite pop-wisdom" which somehow must be wrong, you stupid faggot
>>
>>8795228
Name one book where you can't assign character roles.
>>
>>8795237
Like I said it isn't wrong, its simply nothing. It doesn't have enough substance to count as an analysis to begin with in order to refute it. Just a chain of half assertions.

Characters regarded as good tend to be able to be described as having "flaws" (like any other individual imaginable)
Its easy to imagine characters that lack any discernable "flaws" to be boring

Fucking amazing observations, you really belong in academia.
>>
>>8795203
interesting you would say young?
how is your relationship with your mother?
>>
File: 1480106428917.png (137KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1480106428917.png
137KB, 640x480px
>>8795409
>>
>>8794248
He's holding that axe backwards
>>
>>8795424
You ever kill an old woman before?
Using the sharp end makes too much of a mess with a chance of the axe getting stuck
>>
>>8795404
Ohh yeah boy! You better believe lit is full of academia level criticism and observations. That post is obviously the least insightful of the thread sofar.
>>
>>8795435
Please leave, Reddit
>>
>>8795435
The rest at least have the decency to restrict their banality to single sentences
>>
>>8795435
>upset samefag
Kek
>>
>>8795435
Just ignore the assholes.
>>
>>8795404
Well Im sorry I dissapointed you Lord Byron, I was giving my point of view on the subject. Ill have your 3000 word essay as to why antiheroes are the best kind of protagonists in a couple hours. Please dont ban me.
>>
>>8796099
Make sure its double spaced
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.