[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Problem with poetry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: lonely place 3.png (366KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
lonely place 3.png
366KB, 1366x768px
How come it's so hard to come by poetry books when buying second hand ?

Is it because people tend to 'never end reading' poetry books but just read through novels and throw them away / sell them?
Maybe it's just Spain is a shitty country (which indeed is)
>>
>>8791471
Because hardly any people buy poetry books to begin with, and those who do are less likely to part with their books.
>>
>>8791478
this, poetry rewards rereading in a way even the best novels frequently fail to do.
>>
>>8791482
Thats not what I said at all
>>
>>8791471
I've found lots of poetry books at used book sales in Canada
>>
>>8791486
i know, i was expanding on it
>>
>>8791482
This is what i meant when I said people 'never end reading', whereas they feel that with a novel when they have finished they have finished
>>8791478
>less likely to part
I know, man, I know. I just wish I could buy more poetry books at a low price instead of the overinflated pvp books have nowadays
>>
>>8791505
Well you're wrong
>>
>>8791507
no u
>>
>>8791507
>>8791482
You are both wrong
Depends on the poetry and the novel
>>
>>8791516
My original point is more simply that people who buy poetry are informed readers and informed readers are more likely to keep a library regardless of medium
>>
>>8791507
I'm not wrong, man. Good poetry is structured to be read more slowly and reread more times than prose. That's how it's made. Good prose can obviously be cause for rereading, but prose cannot successfully pull of the same level of narrative ambiguity, tonal complexity, and formal symbology without being dismissed as 'Finnegans Wake is too hard to read'
>>
This is the first time I've heard of such a problem, most used bookstores I've been to have relatively large poetry sections.
>>
>>8791551
Maybe its a recent problem. People don't read poetry anymore.
>>
>>8791557
I got into poetry three and a half years ago. Mind you, I'm from the Bay Area with our heaps of arteasts and the lot, so it might be different over here, but I can think of at least three used bookstores with hefty poetry libraries. Moe's on Telegraph in Berkeley in particular has a huge section.
>>
>>8791551
OP here, i've always had this problem. Whenever I want to buy poetry I have to get brand new copies (thus missing all the titles out of production).

To give you an idea of how real this problem is (at least around here) i'll tell you that out of at least 10 used bookshops only one had a poetry section, and the prices were the same as the brand new counterparts of the books... some do have a poetry section but it's so small and almost always only of spanish authors

To find a decent priced Ashbery or Larkin book is really tough
>>
>>8791471
post lonely place 1 and 2 please
>>
>>8791471
There are simply less poetry books in circulation so naturally fewer of them will end up in second hand shops.

And, yes, I can imagine that a beloved book of poems would be clutched tighter and returned to more often than a beloved story.
>>
>>8791603
This is not a problem in America. sucks to be you
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.