[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Krasznahorkai

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Krasznahorkai.jpg (505KB, 950x1091px) Image search: [Google]
Krasznahorkai.jpg
505KB, 950x1091px
What do you guys think of Krasznahorkai? I've discovered him only recently and I'm considering getting Satantango for Christmas. Seeing it was his first book, do you think it would be a good intro into his work?
>>
I read The Last Wolf and Hermann over the weekend (New Directions just published the two short stories together) and loved them both, Hermann especially. I'd pick that up and give it a read if you're totally unfamiliar with his work.

I'd like to read either Satantango or the book he wrote which one the man booker in 2015 for best international + translation. He's heavily indebted to Bernhard.
>>
>>8787049
Thanks! I was also considering getting "From the North by Hill, From the South by Lake, From the West by Roads, From the East by River" (what a title btw) as it got praised in the press but I'll definitely give Hermann and LW a shot
>>
>>8786734

Correct me if I'm wrong but does anyone else feel like Satantango is basically Hungarian 1984? It feels incredibly similar to it except a more, bleak and depressing outcome. They can't change the system because the system wins them over in the end but because it's so utterly hopeless there's fuck all point in doing so and everything will continue the way it is as the village sinks further into oblivion.
>>
>>8787219
I suppose you're right, I never thought about the book that way. However while in 1984 the system is more 'concrete' (Big Brother etc.), in Satantango the sense of dread and hopelessness is more indefinable, which made me think about the book more along the lines of Blood Meridian. Then again, the author wrote it when Hungary was still communistic so the corrupting influence of the state and environment of the village is most probably reflected in the writing.
>>
I'm reading Santantango now. It's shite. Don't understand the hype.
>>
His books are GOAT, one of the best living writers and reading his books at least make me appreciate something about my retarded country because the prose is fantastic in original.
>>
>>8787303
Satantango is great, don't blame everyone else for the fact that you're stupid.
>>
>>8787340
Be proud of the cam girls anon.
>>
>>8787340
How would you say it holds up in translation? I'm the anon that read The Last Wolf and Hermann and found the prose (especially in Hermann) to be fantastic. Almost intoxicating.
>>
>>8787819
No idea, I haven't read any of the translations, he has a very unique style even in Hungarian but as far as I know he working closely with his translator so it should be as good as possible.
>>
>>8787876
Ah, that's when it's best. Like Sebald, who worked closely with Hulse to ensure his works were translated as to how Sebald wanted them.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.