[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts? Praises? Concerns? Criticisms? Does it deserve its success?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

Thoughts? Praises? Concerns? Criticisms?

Does it deserve its success?
>>
>>8783346
haven't read it since i was a kid. it's good for kids and teens though. good story but i dont think it should be taught in classes or anything like that
>>
Book 7 is literally Deus Ex Machina:The Book
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebfjuk2fHJo

One of the many reasons you shouldn't forget your classics.
>>
"Deserve"?
>>
>>8783346
The main problems I have with Harry Potter are to do with the author herself and the fanbase surrounding her. Her books are completely acceptable for pre-teens but it's really quite annoying to see adults obsess over her novels.
>>
I have fond memories of the series and saw the new movie for nostalgic reasons but I don't understand how people my age can still be so into it.
>>
>>8784866
They might still get the letter to come to remedial Hogwarts.

I'm surprised that Rowling never saw Sabrina the Teenage Witch and the development it went through and thought "Hogwarts University"
>>
>>8784838
the thing is that the movie became just too popular to adults ignore
>>
>>8784879
I remember adults raving about it on high brow radio in the late 90's before the movies.
>>
>>8783346
I enjoyed it when I read it when I was twelve, and still consider it one of the best children books ever written; but it's a children's book it's not written for adults, and it doesn't deserve to be taught in schools, and it doesn't deserve to be read by people when there are thousands of other books in the western canon undeniably superior to Harry Potter
>>
The fan base ruined it for me.
They just need to let the series die.
>>
>>8784905
>high brow radio
Evidently not though
>>
Rowling has no self-respect as an author. She allows fanfiction to preside over her own work just to please her SJW fans.
>>
>>8785850
If this were true, she would have made Scorpius and James canonically gay. She doesn't give a shit about her fans.
>>
To reiterate what others have said in this thread, the books are good but they are for children. They are valuable in that they introduce some simplistic literary concepts to kids, some Christian elements, vague commentary on British classism but those that fixate on the books because they want to constantly relive that childhood feeling they had is infantile. Then I look at the people around me and It's no wonder it continues to be successful...
>>
Why is the simple idea that they are good children's books so controversial?
>>
>>8786423
Bloom.
>>
>>8783346
harry potter got so many kids in to reading. i would bet that half of the people on /lit/ under the age of 30 are here because of those fucking wizard books
>>
>>8786423
When you have kids you'll be able to compare some of them, and you'll find that they're really nowhere near the best. If a kid wants to read them who cares, but they're not great.
>>
I preferred a series of unfortunate events as a kid. Not even saying this to be a contrarion, I just thought they were way cooler.
>>
>>8785834
Anyone can listen to high-brow radio anon, even plebs.
>>
Good books for kids. But if you pride yourself on reading it after age 17 and they are the only books you've read among other media-propped up YA books, you need to go out into the forest and have one of those Native American spirit journey's until you become an actual person and not a automaton.
>>
>>8784838
>other people enjoying material of their choosing is a problem for me

??
>>
>>8788007
>please don't make me feel inadequate for my shitty tastes
>>
>>8783346
it was popular so i hated it. never found it particularly interesting. never found Emma Watson attractive because i could only see her as a child despite her being the same age as myself
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.