[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are DFW's "other books" considered good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

Specifically pic related and The Pale King.

Will TPK make me want to hit my head against the wall when I finish it due to it being an unfinished book, or does the book have an adequate ending (if you could call it that, as Infinite Jest didn't really have one either)?
>>
To be honest I think Oblivion and The Pale King contain his best pieces. They are far better than Infinite Jest. I do not hold The Pale King in high regard however.
>>
Hi OP, I think I can help you out. I'm almost done pic related and read TPK earlier this year. TPK is weird because there are some stretches where his writing is as good as I've read and others that probably wouldn't have or shouldn't have made it past a regular editing process. The ending just feels premature, which is expected. Worth the read if you like DFW.
Oblivion is not bad overall but only Good Old Neon really got to me. I'm on the last story, which is really like a novella. Again worth it if you already like DFW.
TL:DR Don't expect another Infinite Jest. If you didn't like Infinite Jest don't read them.
>>
Is this the Prima Official Guide?
>>
good old neon is really good
>>
>>8783153
Oblivion is DFW's best and most honest work, in my opinion. Strange, depressing, inventive, and I think that it is in this book that Wallace seems to have dropped all the pretense of his previous work. There is not much attempt to impress, to impart a certain image, and much more of an attempt to express. It is a resigned book, in a very sad way. Sincere without trying to be.
>>
>>8783343
This is true.
>>
>>8783153
>Infinite Jest didn't really have one either
if you really walked away from Infinite Jest thinking this, you're a moron
>>
>>8783153
>IJ had no adequate ending
ur gonna need a bigger b8
>>
>>8783153
i really liked the interviews with hideous men
>>
>>8783201
Pale King was never truly finished though, he died before it could be finalized.
>>
File: 20160721_202341.jpg (1MB, 1706x3144px) Image search: [Google]
20160721_202341.jpg
1MB, 1706x3144px
>>8783153
The Pale King is less of a book, and more like an exercise, or drill, in the writings of DFW. I really enjoyed it because I like his style and thought some sections were really great. Pic related and that last conversation with the levitating guy.
>>
>>8784633
I just realized how much of his prose style tao lin has stolen from DFW
>>
>>8784627
And that changes anything how?
>>
>>8784699

I thought the same thing looking at this picture.

Can't wait for Leave Society.
>>
>>8784593
>There was an ending to Infinite Jest.
>I even understood it.

Tell us the ending then.
>>
Anyone understand the ending to oblivion? As in the short in the collection
>>
>>8784605
It was so bad m8, and I like DFW.

Brief Interviews is unquestionably his weakest fiction effort.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.