[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will reading fiction books make me better at writing essays?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1472395740214.jpg (81KB, 524x513px) Image search: [Google]
1472395740214.jpg
81KB, 524x513px
Will reading fiction books make me better at writing essays?

Not underaged, in college. I have trouble meeting page count requirements. I can do research and list facts or my opinions, but I'm supposed to pad everything with garbage and sort of make it into a blog. I get horrible writers block, it took me 2 hours to write 500 words.
>>
Why not read essays if you're trying to write essays?
>>
writing fiction will definitely help with essays, from personal experience. it's a lot easier to get into the flow of your current thought.

reading alone, I dunno. probably a little
>>
>>8780884
Something a lot of undergrads forget to do is not only to include texts and arguments that support your thesis, but also to bring in an article that refutes your thesis, and respond to that. That will not only help you make page count, but also will make for a stronger essay. Also, don't quote defensively, bring in a quote and then expand on that.
Being a little short shouldn't be a huge issue in college, as long as it's clear the essay is focused and doesn't miss any obvious points of discussion/make a weak argument.
>>
>>8781028
>Also, don't quote defensively

Can you elaborate on this?
>>
>>8781034
Typical undergrad mistake I've seen is doing quoting defensively, as in:
"Diogenes was one cool motherfucker, as shown by this (insert quotes)
Instead, bring in a quote with substance, and discuss the content and how it relates to the thesis, etc.
>>
>>8781225

Ah, I see. Thank you for the clarity.
>>
>>8780884

>>8780895
Came to say this. Essays are some of the most fun reading. Sometimes I prefer reading these to philosophy or fiction.

Montaigne, Schopenhauer, Emerson...good times lie ahead anon. Pick a topic you love and think the shit out of that stuff. Make someone else love it as much as you do. You might find nothing more enjoyable as an art form. Even if you suck at it you'll have fun, and if your passion is real you'll communicate that and that's okay too.

>tfw far too cheerful for /lit/, what the fuck is happening to me
>>
>>8780884
I'd have that look too if I wouldn't get to fuck that bunny.
>>
>>8780884
Probably not. I think if you want to increase your word count you have to plan it out. I.e. finding the question and what contrasting theorists/facts you would like to use. In the intro give a brief introduction on your thesis (this is a premise which you will attempt to prove within your essay). Also think of the body of the essay as a long form argument IE premise > supporting reasoning > conclusion. In addition DO NOT LEAVE OUT ANY REASONING, NO MATTER HOW OBVIOUS, treat the marker as if they are stupid. This also bulks up the word count aswell. Finally perhaps you should compare and contrast facts/theorists and ideas and your analysis extrapolated from this.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.