[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Speed reading Is there a method that works?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: reading-fast.jpg (40KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
reading-fast.jpg
40KB, 620x400px
Speed reading

Is there a method that works?
>>
please don't speed read. its not a race. would you listen to music or watch a movie at a quicker speed?
>>
>>8777905
read shorter books

audio books on fast forward
>>
File: The real clock.jpg (228KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
The real clock.jpg
228KB, 500x500px
>>8777905
Reading at your own pace works for me.
>>
>>8777931
Okay, than help me optimize my reading habits.
I read Seveneves in 5 days a few weeks ago. There are books I can not complete because reading them seems to take forever even I love them and find them exciting.
>>
>>8777932
I started doing this.
>>
>>8777905
Speed reading is only something a pleb would think was useful and sophisticated. I found that when I was "speed reading" I was merely glancing over the words and not actually digesting what I was, quite frankly, just looking at. If anything I would suggest that reading at a slower pace than normal is more sophisticated and advanced than speed reading.
>>
>>8777931
I speed up cartoons, anime, documentaries, tutorials, the news, etc. it doesn't work with film and music
>>
>>8777931
>>8777951
Blinds can speed up their device that reads website and books for them.
>>
>>8777944
Reading takes time. Reading at the pace that's natural for you will ensure that you can comprehend the information as much as possible. Your reading pace will change as you continue to read, but it won't happen in an instant. And besides you probably read more than the average litizen anyway judging by what you said

It's important to take what you're reading seriously rather than viewing it as a thing you have to complete over a given period of time
>>
>>8777931
Funnily enough a lot of the plebs over at /tv/ seem to watch both films and television shows at 1.5x speed or higher.
>>
File: lit-meme-pepe-0032.png (302KB, 1724x731px) Image search: [Google]
lit-meme-pepe-0032.png
302KB, 1724x731px
Speedreading is pretty much a meme unless you're a gifted reader or very intelligent. There are certain tricks to pick up your speed a bit (pic related, some dumb meme). Keep in mind reading is a pretty quick activity anyway, much faster than listening to a book for example.

My bigger problem is that I am always reading too many books at once. I try to fix this by reading fiction/non-fiction but I'm still reading 2 fiction, 2 non fiction, and I browse 3 different bibles (for the notes/translation differences)...
>>
>>8777997
I know I am impatient.
I realized that I should read less useless stuff like news and and more literature. But both need different state of mind and reading the everyday shit is easy. For me it takes much time to sit down, concentrate and read literature, once I did it it feels great.

Did you have experience like that?
>>
>>8778025
>reading too many books at once

I always wanted to know if it is bad or good. I also do it often.
>>
>>8778030
Do you usually read in your at home? Try turning off as many devices around you as possible. If there are distractions you can't get rid of, try reading somewhere else. I've probably read more outside my room than anywhere else. Some people read in public. I used to read a lot in my college library because it was silent and there wasn't much around me to get distracted by. Sometimes it can really be as simple as the place in which you're reading
>>
>>8777905
anon google spristz. If you read on smartphone get reedy.
Speed reading works well for the easy reads. You'll be surprised.
>>
You don't have to read fast, you just have to do nothing else but read. And some kind of work to avoid starving, I guess.
>>
>>8777905
Comprehension is infinitely more important
You will get more value out of something if you take your time to process the information, really think about what the author is telling you
there is a reason why book clubs and lit courses emphasize analyzation and discussion over the material, as opposed to just quizzing everyone on the events that happened in the story
it's better to read only a single chapter in the time a speed reader would finish several, so long as you use critical thinking and get a deeper understanding out of it

just read at your natural pace, taking time to evaluate as you go. if you speed through things you'll probably miss a lot, or only understand the book at face value
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.