[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Essential "Classics"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: d8badde28146f347b5df5e0471d32bcb.jpg (680KB, 1355x2000px) Image search: [Google]
d8badde28146f347b5df5e0471d32bcb.jpg
680KB, 1355x2000px
Hello.

I'm not a big reader, but I would be very willing to start reading much more often in order to be more cultured in writing film, short stories, and comic narratives. The problem is that there are too many to choose from, and I don't know where to start on my road to "good writing". I'm not as interested in learning how to write stories leaning towards specific genres, as much as I'd like to know how to write good stories in general.

From an artist's standpoint, what books are essential to reference for the road towards good storywriting? I've also begun to read up on tvtropes, to be more familiar with some of the really basic structure of general storywriting and scriptwriting.
>>
>>8776637
Flannery O'Conner's complete stories
Kafka's kollected stories
Borges - Ficciones
Corncob Mccucky - Blood Meridian
Meme Wolfe - Shadow & Claw
Hermann Melville - Moby DICK
Shakespeare's plays
William Gass - Omensetters Luck
Nabokov - Lolita
Ikuhara - Revolutionary Girl Utena
>>
Read the Iliad and the Odyssey

Chekhov for some masterfully constructed short stories
>>
>>8776671
>>8776659
Thank you. I will check these out first.
>>
>>8776687
before reading Moby Dick I'd recommend hitting "Bartleby the scrivener" before hand. It's a short story written by Melville and it's pretty excellent.
>>
>>8776719
Will do, thank you.
>>
Infinite Jest is one of the best beginner books
>>
>>8776773
It's funny because it's not that hard of a novel, just long and unusually ordered.
>>
>>8776776
That's why i recced it, it's an easy read
>>
>>8776671

Came here to post the Iliad and Odyssey. I think you should read at least the major plays of Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides as well, being the Oresteia, Three Theban Plays, and Bacchae respectively.
>>
>>8776659
why are Shakespeare's plays so important?
>>
>>8777092
They're one of the best examples of meeting high culture with low culture.
Also, out of that list, there the most straightforward in terms of plot structure.
>>
>>8777092
straight up everything after makes references to them
>>
thanks everybody for making /lit/ into a boring shitty request board
>>
>>8777463
>thanks everybody for making /lit/ into a boring shitty request board
Mate, I request books on here all the time because no one fucking goes to /wsr/. There is no one who has an actual issue with this.
>>
>>8777092
Shakespeare is the western canon.
>>
>>8776637
Le Secret de l'Eau Bleue is probably the most important work of the 20th or 21st century.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.