[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ayn Rand??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: ayn_rand.jpg (168KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
ayn_rand.jpg
168KB, 750x500px
I've never read a single book because I don't have the attention to span but I'd like to know what this women wrote.

Every time her name is mention everyone gets instantly triggered and attacks her ideas like animals but I can never tell what she actually wrote about.

Help me out??
>>
>>8773494
trains
>>
she wrote all those road atlases
>>
>>8773499
Ayyy. Best Ayn Rand post.
>>
>triggered
Haha nice me me friend.
I too browse reddit.
also just read the wikipedia article you mong.
>>
>>8773494
I've only read Anthem which was very nice and the first chapter of Atlas Shrugged that I quited for the time because of the length of the book and because it was too "I'm here to make money bitchesss I'm so awesome!!!".

People here say she's a bad writer and that her philosophy is for edgy special snowflake teenagers, but I can't remember someone actually arguing something other the memeing.
>>
>>8773494
Basically she advocated ethical egoism, similar to Nietzsche and Max Stirner but instead of rejecting morality she posited self interest as an ethical goal and saw herself more in the tradition of Aristotle. Also was very much in favor of capitalism. To get a good idea of her philosophy and attitude in general, her Playboy interview and the Standford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry on her are both good and easy to find.

http://aynrandlexicon.com/
This is also a good resource.

imo she was a bit nuts but no more so than many "respected" philosophers like Sartre. The reaction is because of 1) butthurt leftists being butthurt, 2) her tendency to use provocative language like "the virtue of selfishness" that led people to misconstrue what she was actually saying and 3) her alienating everyone in academia by talking serious shit about every philosopher and movement outside her close-knit circle, often while misunderstanding what she was criticizing.
>>
>>8773494
She wrote Cloud Atlas
>>
>>8773530
it's because leftists are retarded an try to discredit her.
>>
>>8773494

It's pretty apparent her childhood/upbringing affected her literary and philosophical style. Fleeing from the Eastern Bloc she became quite anti-collectivist in her mindset which later took on a big role in her stories with the reoccurring theme of an individual hero must overcome the oppressive collective. Her philosophy is faulty in that sense but not without reason as a critique to the society she grew up in.
>>
File: stirner.png (379KB, 980x610px) Image search: [Google]
stirner.png
379KB, 980x610px
>>8773494
Because she is a shit writer, and there are better alternatives.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/goodletters/2012/10/the-unbearable-badness-of-ayn-rand/
>>
>>8773530
She's been argued down time and time again here, which is why she's never posted. Most of her mistakes come from her basing her economic ideas off of philosophy, not any actual knowledge of how industries work. She also misunderstood Nietzsche by assuming he was in support of master morality.
>>
>>8773494
>>8776018
This.
So please, stop posting Ayn Rand. Please, just stop. It makes /lit/ seem like a political board of some sort, one that would stop at nothing to make us all the subjects of stupidity and maliciousness.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.