[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Baudrillard worth reading? If so, which of his books do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: jean.jpg (29KB, 456x620px) Image search: [Google]
jean.jpg
29KB, 456x620px
Is Baudrillard worth reading? If so, which of his books do you recommend starting with?

I am considering Simulacra and Simulation or Screened Out after a cursory glance at his titles on amazon.
>>
Baudrillard was a hack like many post-modernists who misunderstood science and tried to adapt it to philosophical/theoretical conventions and only exposed himself as a charlatan.
>>
>>8773389
Don't start with one of his books, start with the Jean Baudrillard Reader, edited by Steve Redhead. It provides a survey of the various topics Baudrillard writes on, and also shows how his thought evolved over the decades. If you can get a grasp on Baudrillard's somewhat maddening writing style, and also like what he is saying and some of the concepts he describes, then move to his books, and follow the topic that most interested you.
>>
>>8773489
Thanks.
>>
File: democritus.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
democritus.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>>8773485
>Baudrillard was a hack like all post-modernists.

Fixed
/thread
>>
His essays on 9/11 and the Spirit of Terrorism are a short, accessible introduction to his thought
>>
start with Kellner

i dont think someone can really understand baudrillard without knowing something about marx, hegel, foucualt, mcluhan, amybe some idealists.

looking up how he uses words esoterically is important to know.
>>
Get Passwords, he outlines all of his concepts concisely.
I'm reading the Agony of Power, his later work on terrorism and evil is far more interesting then Simulacrum.
>>
How are Baudrilliard's ideas different from something you might get from Daniel Boorstin's The Image? Or DeLillo? French philosophy has always seemed to be heavy on a e s t h e t i c s but light on actual ideas.
>>
File: 41qjNlFdCjL.jpg (28KB, 305x500px) Image search: [Google]
41qjNlFdCjL.jpg
28KB, 305x500px
i bought this this weekend used. its MIT press so i trusted it a bit, there's 2 essays inside. the procession of simulacra and the orders of simulacra. anyone know anything about these essays?
>>
I've read the Gulf War Never Happened and America -- both of which are pretty accessible and interesting reads. There's also Selected Writings that provides a concise reader of his main themes.

Good luck and enjoy ...
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.