[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sound Effects That Are Difficult To Write

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Anybody know of any sources or books where I might find -Hard to Describe Sound Effects-?

Like, most things I can just look up on youtube and listen to the clip and figure out a way to put that in writing, but certain sounds are really hard to find, or I'm not looking for the right things.

For instance, I am currently trying to describe a character killing another character with a heavy lead pipe to the back on the head, but I don't know how to describe the sound of the pipe hitting skin and bone.

Also, is it necessary to describe that sound? Or maybe I should just say what I did in the above sentence? The reason I usually like the description of the sounds is because when -I- read descriptions, I actually can picture and -feel- what they are describing, and I wanted to try to do that as much as possible in my own writing.

So ya, any help or input is appreciated, and I guess just general 'Difficult to Describe' things thread.
>>
fronk
>>
Who is your narrator? One of the characters, or very close to the character? If so, I don't think the sound is what you would notice in that situation.

If it's not the narrator, ask what the description of the sound is for. Add depth to the scene? There's probably something easier to describe you can use to do this, like the smell of whatever area they're in.
>>
>>8772961
>If it's not the narrator
I mean, if your narrator isn't one of the characters but an omniscient 3rd person
>>
THUDD
>>
>>8772961
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I write in the third person.
>>
>>8772954
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>8773027
Sounds happen really fast. If you're in an intense situation (like killing someone with a lead pipe) you're probably not gonna be paying attention to the sonorous qualities of the pipe striking the skull.

Writing in the third person gives you more leeway here, but is still probably awkward. If you have to write "The sound was like _______" it's not worth it. That's too convoluted. I would say "He cracked him over the head with the pipe" and then add descriptive detail in some other capacity, like they're in an alley that smells like pee or whatever.
>>
does anyone know the sounds of Mom making pancakes?
>>
>>8773080
Sizzling butter. Pan scraping across the burner. Maybe soft music in the background and her talking to herself a bit.
>>
>>8772954
I try to make implications of sound through the writing itself.

>The pipe struck his head, ringing with a metallic vibration as it cracked his skull like dry wood. The second strike turns his skull from wood to dirt. The third, dirt to rotting fruit, complete with pulp and juices.
>>
Splink!
>>
>>8774550
This is shit
>>
>>8773080
CRASH
>>
>>8772954
bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!
>>
>>8774550
I actually found a solution, felt really stupid for not looking it up earlier. I just looked up people killing cows with a sledge hammer.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.