[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important is the opening sentence to a story or novel? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
How important is the opening sentence to a story or novel?

I feel like half the time writers try way too hard and place too much emphasis on its importance.

If you decide the quality of writing and story on one opening sentence you are retarded
>>
>>8772153
It's more for publishers, I'd guess. They need to see very quickly if the story is worth their time.
>>
Opening lines are about being concise, but providing an awesome hook. A great opening line causes the reader to want to more.

A great opening also has great flow-great rhythm. My friends and clients know me as often being over critical. On the other hand, when I see greatness, I am equally blunt. Your opening line is nothing less than superb.

Here's an example of a perfect opening line:

"Only one enemy remained; two if you counted God."
>>
>>8772172
bait from reddit thread
>>
A memeing came across the sky
>>
>>8772153
It literally opens the entire story so it's really important. That said it also has to lead to something substantial.
>>
>>8772153
"BANG! Mom made dog pancakes."
>>
>>8772153
Personally I prefer writing the opening sentence last for this exact reason. You can't properly begin a story if you don't know where it's going, the first sentence read is most definitely not the first sentence written.

I have a friend who writes novellas backwards, chapter by chapter because he says he's "more comfortable structuring the story in reverse"
>>
>>8772647
Nabokov used to write bits and pieces of story on small cards and then compile together
>>
>>8772352
Wot
>>
If I pick up a book off the shelf and the first sentence I see is something dumb like the "two enemies left" shit, I'm not going to buy it
>>
>>8772172
>"Only one enemy remained; two if you counted God."
Holy...I want more
>>
I don't really pay attention to them or maybe I do more once I've read the book and go to look back at it. Like someone said, it's something publishers look at and teachers when teaching the book bc it can be useful in that way.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.