[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General writing questions/ books related to writing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Looking for books recommended general for writing fiction. I also have never conducted research for a novel before (pic related recommends writing the book, then consulting secondary sources to describe things in a more exact and correct manner. For example, using research to make your first draft more accurate and exact, and not to research before writing the plot). I've also never taken a creative writing class before, I always just read literature/ philosophy/ religious texts because it was entertaining and fun.
I'm kind of new to this whole thing, I just had an idea that I thought might actually be good and want to see.
Any tips, advice, websites, articles, videos, books, manuals, techniques, etc. are welcome.

I'll also try to contribute what I do know as people ask questions (if I can), as I've lately been researching writing pretty heavily and writing this thing.

My first kind of precise question has to do with research: I know my novel will require a vocabulary of a place and time I've never lived extensively but to work it requires that (I'm from Texas, and my book is about Texas, but I live in France right now). It's also about rural Texas and I'm from a big city. So I have to create a kind of false authenticity from the setting even though the characters are from real life. The opening and many plot elements and characters are, in fact, very solid in my mind (I'm going to let the plot resolve itself once I get past the point I'm currently writing), so should I just knock out the story and meat of the novel and consult secondary sources afterwards to make it more exact and refined?

Secondly, I have a question about the actual plot: I do try this technique I heard Nabokov used where you write down sustained scenes as they come to you, kind of like brain storming, and that eventually it pieces itself together. I kind of write several chapters in a kind of unintentional prose poetry to really flesh out how I want this particular scene to go, but there is no overall organization even though in my head it exists. But it seems "outlining" is more for genre fiction (I dont even mean this in a condescending way, it just seems Patterson, detective novel writers, thrillers, etc. are the only people who use them, and my story arch doesnt really have twists). Is an outline still suggested for organizational purposes, even if plot takes a major backseat to imagery & the like?

TL; DR: Curious about your thoughts on structuring a novel or novella & conducting research to make it on exact.
>>
>>8771678
Bumping in particular interest for the themes of plot. I've often found and been told, that, while my prose is nice and dialogue is fine, my work feels "vague" or "empty" and that there are interesting parts but no excitement. I think it's because my mode of thinking and recording life is rather abstract, and I have a tendency to philosophize scenes and themes over people and plot. I know this is a mistake, and I'm trying to change it, and really, learn plot like I learn prose, but I'm a young writer and I'd really also appreciate advice and books on how to plan a scene, how to stipulate proper drama. Perhaps it's genre and basic, and I'm learning the ropes again by myself, but something simple on moving away from vague imagery and more into relatable direct experience.

I suppose it's really down to just changing my mind.
>>
>>8771678
Bumping
>>
op, this is my first bump since i got 2 courtesy bumps
>>
Check out Brandon Sanderson's writing lectures on Jewtube. I watched a couple and thought they were pretty good.
>>
>>8772430
Bumping once more, not OP.
>>
What is it called when the main character is written like a "silent protagonist"? i.e., we know some of their emotions but not exactly their intentions

I know I learned about it in middle school and read some works (one of them was about this teenage girl turned mercenary or some shit in the American Revolution after her father got tarred and feathered)
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.