[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Intoxicating Prose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: GOATs of all time.jpg (361KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
GOATs of all time.jpg
361KB, 800x600px
What books' prose are the most brilliant in your opinion? What would you recommend for someone just getting into prose?

I'm just recently getting into prose. Loving Joyce's Dubliners and Portrait, and loving Proust's Swann's Way. I find it to be a very zen hobby. Appreciating each sentence as its own work of art makes me feel very much in the moment.
>>
>>8770874
My native language is English btw. Should I focus mainly on works originally written in English or do the highly acclaimed translations do ISOLT and other non-English classics justice?
>>
>>8770881
by Virginia Woolf, wasn't she the author who was a big fan of James Joyce during his life? I'll check it out, thanks Anon
>>
>>8770874
Borges and McCarthy.
>>
>>8770890
yeah, huge fan.

>>8770897
I don't think she retracted her statements. She just said she would reread Ulysses to give it another shot. But I don't think she did
>>
>>8770929
James Joyce and Virginia Woolf were born and died in the same years- 1882 and 1941.
>4spooky6me
>>
>>8770954
They were the same person, idiot
>>
>>8770954
"They" engaged into some blatant samefagging desu.
>>
>>8770874
I am not the infamous Gassposter of this board, but I will say Gass is one of the greatest sentence constructors post war. I know sentence constructors sounds like a pretentious term for writers but i don't mean it that way, its just the way he makes sentences by piecing together words in a different way to most authors, honestly its impossible to convey it in words right now, I'm too drunk, but seriously give The Pedersen Kid a read, best written novella of 20th century, imo.
>>
>>8770874
Lolita is an obvious pick, for good reason. Just the opening paragraph should be explanation enough.
Henry Miller is another great who tends to get pigeonholed as only being erotic/obscene.
As far as works in translation, it's hit and miss on what actually translates well/what has been translated well. Luckily a lot of attention is being paid these days to translating things to preserved the quality of the prose, especially by independent presses. In my experience New Directions and Dalkey publish a large quantity of high quality translatiins.
Lispector's Agua Viva is a wonder to read, even in translation.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.