[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modernism and Postmodernism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1477612604181.jpg (31KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1477612604181.jpg
31KB, 480x480px
Let's talk about modernism and postmodernism.

The terms are meaningful only insofar as attempting a rough categorization of different reactions to what we can call the modern era.

It seems to me that the prefix "post" has an unfortunate side effect of giving the illusion that the movements are chronologically one following the other when in actuality, I see them as reactions to one another over a time period lasting from the institution of mechanized war up to the present.

Modernism was originally a rejection and reaction to classicism and it's failure to adequately communicate with people living in a rapidly changing society. Gradually however modernism has become increasingly self referential and sought to problematize the modern itself which end up blurring it's line with post modernism.

Postmodernism on the other hand seems to me to be a rejection of the modern originating in the post WWI landscape and being augmented following the Nuclear bombings of WWII and is concerned mainly with pointing out that if rationalism of the modern era can be used to create such atrocities then there is something profoundly wrong it.

The main disagreement between postmodernism and modernism is based in this question over whether or not a system that produces such horrors is worthy of further exploration or destruction.
>>
So the question that emerges from that is
>How do we determine if something is modern or postmodern?

The use of the term seems to vary by medium, no?

In books it almost seems to have no meaning where Wallace, Delillo and Pynchon have the same label of postmodern even though their concerns styles and structures are completely different

In film, there were some modernists (Antonioni, Teshigahara, Resnais to some extent) and some that may be called Postmodern (Godard, Roeg, and some would argue Tarantino) the difference between the two being construction vs destruction.

In visual art there seems extremely little difference between the two with the exception of conceptual art and anti-art being uniquely postmodern.

But again, I'm no scholar on this and looking for opinions.
>>
Oh, this thread again
>>
I will admit I haven't read much explicitly post-modern literature recently, but if it's anything like postmodern art, it's probably shit and only different explicitly for the sake of being different.
>>
>>8770713
Well these threads never do come to a tidy end, do they. It's not like there actually is an answer. It's all competing interpretations of abstract concepts with different people asserting different characteristics that presumably validate some internal bias of the poster.
>>
>>8770719
There's no answer here afaict. Just a pretentious asshole stating the obvious.
>>
>>8770721
So are you arguing that postmodernism is the fixation of analysis on the problem of proving the universality of reason to the exclusion of all other concerns while modernism sees this problem and acknowledges it but allows itself to make this questionable assumption in order to continue it's larger questions?
>>
>>8770690
The relations between freedom, money, talent, skill, desire, taste
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.