[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Julius Evola

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

File: Evola.jpg (66KB, 350x483px) Image search: [Google]
Evola.jpg
66KB, 350x483px
Are any of his books worth reading? If I were to read just one, which should it be?

Also, is his book on Buddhism any good?
>>
>>8766079
>Are any of his books worth reading?
In fact, no.
>If I were to read just one, which should it be?
Can't advise any.
>Also, is his book on Buddhism any good?
Absolutely not.
>>
>>8766079
I would suggest Ride the Tiger

For me Evola is hit or miss. He has some SERIOUS degenerate stuff, like harem and batshitcrazy sexual behavior, but this problem is minimized in Ride the Tiger.
>>
oh wow, what a fucking moron. took the vedas and ruined them, apparently. got it all wrong. yes, we are in the Yuga. your job is to REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE AND KEEP YOUR HEART PURE. nothing else. this guy was so fucking lost its not funny. so close, and yet so far away.
>>
>>8766079
Revolt Against the Modern World, Men Amongst the Ruins and Ride the Tiger are the books you should start with
>>
>>8766275
>Revolt Against the Modern World
this is GARBAGE, please don't recommend this kind of degeneracy to OP

>>8766246
>so close, and yet so far away
that's basically it
>>
>>8766079

It's been ages since I read him. His critique of Nietzsche was half-right. He BTFO's Heidegger though.
>>
>>8766337
Evola is closer to lefties than to traditionalists.
>>
>>8766098
From a "game" or "manosphere" perspective, acknowledging male sexuality is perfectly in keeping with solar masculinity.

>>8766337
>pic
Such rebels. Have they applied for a grant yet?
>>
Why is Revolt garbage?

And what's wrong with his book on Buddhism?
>>
>>8766079
Revolt against the modern world is GOAT.

Ride the tiger is good work too.

If you recognize yourself rather as a living organism with thoughts than a halfdead piece of weak meat, then I would suggest that you read him.
>>
Don't listen to the shitposters from reddit, they'll leave soon enough. They have a vague idea of who Evola is, and they feel threatened by his intellectual superiority (as they should be).

Most of Evola's work is great, even if you disagree with his worldview. The reading order is usually Revolt Against the Modern World -> Men Among the Ruins -> Ride the Tiger for a solid foundation. I personally really enjoyed his essays on fascism and the Third Reich. He transcends ideology, and is one of the most radical aristocrats (in the true sense of the word) that you'll encounter. The legs of latter-day leftists, conservatives, and other assorted intellectual gnomes already start to buckle during the first few pages.

One thing to note, though, is that the translations are of varying quality. He's best read in Italian (or in German or French if he did the translations himself). His prose may seem a bit dense, especially if you're not well-versed in history and philosophy.

His book on Buddhism is, according to friends I have who are versed in eastern philosophy and practice, one of the best on the subject. The same is supposed to be true of his book on Hermeticism, though I haven't read either of them.
>>
>>8768060
See you can tell by this idiot advocating him how worthless his books are
>>
>>8768079
Stop samefagging
>>
>>8768079

>t. someone too retarded or scared to even try reading Evola
>>
>>8768092
First post in the thread.

>>8768094
I've studied Hegel, Derrida and Wittgenstein at a third level. I find it funny you even think this simpleton is intimidating
>>
>>8768110

lmao you're too dense to even comprehend that your post is self-defeating.
>>
>>8768060
thanks for quality post
>>
It upsets me that this post even has replies. We used to laugh these fuckers right off the board.
>>
>>8770648
This is not true. Although his connection to a particular group of idiots was different way back when.

What to read by Evola is valid discussion, the guy's fucking stupid but w/e.
>>
>>8770648
No, actually. I've been around on and off since the board was made, and Evola didn't provoke instantaneous terror and anxiety back then.

I blame it on all the PTSD from the election results. Posting Evola is actually kind of like going up to a veteran with a pop gun, very unfair and unkind to the poor psychological wrecks around here. I'm wagging my finger right now, admonishingly. You're admonished, OP!
>>
>>8766079
Yes his books are worth reading (unless his books on sexuality and mysticism which seem retarded at times, but if that subject interests you, it may be worth a read). Even if youre a hardcore commie and anarchist, his works are worth reading because most of his arguments are well written and will at least expose you to well thought out post-fascist ideology. His criticisms of Nazi Germany form a more right-wing point of view are also interesting as most everyone criticizes Nazism from a liberal and left-wing stance, making his literature on the subject worth reading, if nothing for the novelty of it.

You won't know if you should read something until after you've read it and can't fairly say its merits unless you know whats inside. You would be (like many people in this thread) ignoring one of the most important 20th century traditionalist thinkers, and by extension reactionary traditionalism, just because some fat redditor told you to. Read some of his works and judge if they have merit yourself.
>>
>>8770682
also
>ignoring a writer just because of his ideas that you kinda heard about from an obscure poster on an obscure forum
you'll never gain more knowledge ifyou block yourself off from whole blocks of reading just because you don't like the preconception of the writer. I've personally grown as a thinker and changed my perspective 2 or 3 times because of reading something that went against my ideology at the time. The weak block out what they don't like, the strong challenge their beliefs with opposing views.
>>
Which retard started the Evola is traditionalist meme?
>>
>>8770698
Evola desu senpai
>>
>>8770702
>Indian magyc ooga buga le true European tradition
>>
File: tilak.jpg (33KB, 464x720px) Image search: [Google]
tilak.jpg
33KB, 464x720px
>>8770711
His thing was the unifying Hyperborean tradition, or at least mankind's collective dream of it.
>>
>>8770718
Aka not really a tradition, but new age bullshit called tradition. But the problem isn't him in particular calling it something it's not, it's retards picking up the word tradition to champion him as something he's most certainly not.
>>
>>8770720
And how did you come to that false conclusion

>>8770724
And now le evil nazis are gonna inved the poor lit
>>
>>8770720
But his new age bullshit isn't based on natural intuition of the Rousseau school.

It's based on received legends of the golden age and ancient ethical ideals. Received, handed down, trans dare, given or handed over, traditio, tradition.
>>
>>8770648
>We used to laugh these fuckers right off the board
"Look at me, I'm being a newfag and nobody can stop me!"
>>
>>8770731
Honestly i only like the blut und boden + masculinity part of natsoc,
thats the thing about evola, he takes the good things out of natsoc, but doesnt embrace it like a sperg,
calling him new age is the worst bs ive ever seen,
apparently being traditional is wearing suits and browsing fox
>>
Evola is great if you're not a pleb.
>>
>the never ending cycle of old /lit/ grows up and becomes new "/pol/" and replaced by emigrants from r/books

/lit/ began with a Evola thread and will end with a Evola thread.
>>
File: Right-wing lit.jpg (941KB, 3200x2839px) Image search: [Google]
Right-wing lit.jpg
941KB, 3200x2839px
>>8770762
>>
File: Reactionary literature.jpg (1019KB, 1500x984px) Image search: [Google]
Reactionary literature.jpg
1019KB, 1500x984px
>>8770771
>>
>>8770782
I will see if I could dig up some more recommendations
>>
>>8770782
The second last chapter of the book. Beautiful.
>>
>>8770762
Plato and evola most important from philosophers, from idealism schelling is best, hegel is dung, hobbes is the best liberal writer, rationalism is retarded
traditional literature, epics
shakespere dramas
baroque dramas
Romantic poetry, especially blake, byron and wordsworth are top tier
gogol is a must, hero of our age is cool too
Dostoevsky and tolstoi are interesting
If you want to see modernism from mainstream perspective see baudelaire, postmodernism is worthless garbage,
Kipling writes good things from redpilled ppl
Durkheim has useful normie stuff
burke is a classic of right wing,
religious rraditionalist philosophy are de maistre and de bonald
if you want sonething new and edgy google: unqualified reservations from mencius moldbug

Ofc this holds some of my subjectivity
>>
>>8770732
>But his new age bullshit isn't based on natural intuition of the Rousseau school.
Most things aren't. Hobbes and Locke certainly aren't and they aren't traditionalist.
>It's based on received legends of the golden age and ancient ethical ideals. Received, handed down, trans dare, given or handed over, traditio, tradition.
Yeah but he rejected all of those. Handed down ancient ideals survived mostly through Christianity (see MacIntyre) hand they had very little in common with Indian esoteric sperm magic.
>>
>>8770771
>>8770775
I'm surprised theses don't have Anderson on them, It's great reading his bibliography in chronological order, you can literally read his slow progression from being a far-left liberal to a republican conservative.
>>
Guenon-lite for fascist LARPers
>>
>>8770793
>>8770793
>Handed down ancient ideals survived mostly through Christianity (see MacIntyre)
No, I will not see MacIntyre. Handed down ancient ideals mostly survived through Greek and Latin texts.

>they had very little in common with Indian esoteric sperm magic.
Ancient ideals have been discovered to exist in ancient idealistic, religious and philosophical texts from ancient India, which I will also refrain from consulting McIntyre about.
>>
>>8770847
I would also add that "new age bullshit" and "most things" are not equivalent phrases. Most new age bullshit descends from Rousseau, with some bargain basement astrology thrown in. Just gotta get back to nature, man.
>>
yall niggas fugazi for real. i see threads about evola all the time but there is never any discussion about the finer points of his arguments, just recommendations to read him. yall niggas posers for real like any liberal with a che poster or shirt just signaling his participation in an identity.
>>
>>8770853
this guy gets it
>>
>dribble
>>
File: 1479786550757.png (774KB, 444x445px) Image search: [Google]
1479786550757.png
774KB, 444x445px
>>8770911
Only /lit/ kids will get this
>>
I legitimately don't understand why he triggers liberals so much, he has a lot in common with them, especially when it comes to materialism, spiritualism, capitalism, sex positivism etc.
>>
Is it true that he was a CIA plant?
>>
>>8770775
>The Lord of the Rings
>The Silmarillion
>The Leopard
>Dante's Inferno

>Reactionary
what
>>
File: peepee back side.png (4KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
peepee back side.png
4KB, 420x420px
>>8771048
What do you mean by "he triggers liberals"? Ebola is totally unknown to most people, literally nobody cares about him (or even should). On any trigger list Ebola would be near the bottom.
>>
>>8771414
Are you trying to claim Tolkien wasn't a reactionary? he guy verbally assaulted a priest after he tried to conduct mass in English rather than Latin.
>>
>>8766467
You can't be a traditionalist without being economically left-wing though.
>>
>>8771467
Tolkien being reactionary doesn't make his works reactionary.
>>
>>8771494
Your joking right?
>>
>>8771494
But his works were reactionary.
>>
>>8771500
What reactionary message is there in the Lord of the Rings?
>>
>>8771511
That feudalism was actually pretty good and that social order should be that of the middle ages.
Also that materialism sucks and that industrialisation is ruining the best places in the world.
>>
>>8771529

I see nothing wrong with this.

I love post-political societies.
What a relief from all this "gotta b involved in deh debate" cacophony.
>>
>>8771545
>Tolkien's works aren't reactionary
>Yes they are, here's an example
>I see nothing wrong with this
Nice discourse you fucking retard
>>
>>8771545
>I love post-political societies
Right-o, what does that have to do with Feudalism and Industrialization?

I'm not sure I agree with the other anon's assessment either, but I dunno if Tolkien thought that was what he was writing about or not.
>>
>>8771545
>I see nothing wrong with this.
That's because "reactionary" doesn't mean wrong.
>>
>>8768110

>Derrida

That's not impressive at all.

Wittgenstein is meh. I think he's overrated. Too many think the tag philosopher + bad grammar means profundity.
>>
>>8771554

Well I wasn't any of those anons, so ease with the sperg.

>>8771564

I dunno. I find the modern principle of "deh peepul need to b involved" has caused, in this digital era in the West, this shitty high alert society where I can't log in or do anything without a bunch of cunts with a virtual megaphone shouting everyone a bucket full of unnecessary stress, pointing to the next new thing to combat. It rubs off on you in ways you don't like. To think you can avoid it or be indifferent to it is to delude yourself. Unless you're lobotomized or a Taoist sage, it won't happen.
In feudal societies or ( hopefully ) most technocratic ones ( which are feudal, in a sense ), you don't have to bother with any of that grassroots crap. Politics is left to its class.
I felt at peace in Singapore, Shanghai, Taipei and so on. I hope we evolve towards such a system again.
>>
>>8771529
>That feudalism was actually pretty good
except that Middle Earth doesn't live in a feudal society. They only have kings and queens, but there's no trace of feudal contracts. The villagers of Bree owe no alliegiance but to their mayor, and the inhabitants of the Shire elect a mayor too, the Tuc "counts" have official political power whatsoever (they're only rich).
Their society reflect that of the kingdoms in ancient greek myths at most.
>>
>>8771564
Tolkien was creating a world in which myths and theme of german folklore (his fled of study) were true history
>>
>>8771606

lol, nerd
>>
>>8771626
That doesn't make it feudalism though. It's early industrialization. Maybe Tolkien thought that was feudalism though, I dunno.
>>
>>8770771
How the fuck is Blake right wing? Are you people retarded or just dishonest?
>>
>>8771679
I quoted the wrong post buddy
Tolkien's work the way I see it's not political in any intentional way.

On the other hand, I understand why it's on that list since it's the first way teenage boys usually experience LARPing (which is the basis of much of the posturing in this thread)
>>
>>8771700
>Tolkien's work the way I see it's not political in any intentional way.
He was quite explicit about his novels being apolitical IIRC. I might be overgeneralizing what he said around the whole atom bomb metaphor though.

I think it's best to just think of it as a nerd language thing that got way out of hand.
>>
>>8770820

THIS

Guenon isn't even a leftist and in some of his books is relatively reactionary but Evola is just a cheap imitation.
>>
>>8771491
Explain.
>>
>>8773488
Ok so let me hit you up
>Was Effectively Pure Free trade before Evola, but leaning socially Conservative
>Read the Trilogy
>Now unrepentantly State interventionist, environmentally conservative and Nationalist

As soon as you realise that Globalism is the enemy of the Nation State and the Soul, you are arguably never further economically right than the centre
>>
Guenon >>> Schuon >>>>>>>>> Evola
>>
>>8771491
Completely wrong, traditionalism is for inequality, while the left is against inequality.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.