[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a good book introduce me to philosophy as a whole? Everyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Is there a good book introduce me to philosophy as a whole? Everyone says to just start with the Greeks and work your way up but considering where I am now and how much that entails it's hard to get motivated or to just dive into that.
>>
>>8761039
Sophie's World
>>
>>8761043
>>8761043
kek

source: graduated from one of the top philosophy courses in europe
>>
>>8761039
"philosophy as a whole"

you're already down the wrong path sonny, pick a general area and learn about that first, then move on
>>
>>8761075
Yeah, if he's never read any philosophy before he should definitely start with the Phenomenology of Spirit
>>
Hegel's Lecture on the History of Philosophy. Don't be a pussy.
>>
>>8761039

Sophie's world worked for me but I was like 11 yo.
>>
>>8761084
lol i'm not saying that, but "philosophy as a whole" isn't a thing...

At least pick analytic/continental and work from there
>>
>>8761039
actually, before reading anything, listen to Peter Adamson's podcast "History of Philosophy Without any Gaps"

Not a book obviously, but a very accessible, detailed account of a broad range of subjects. From someone who actually knows what he's talking about.

When you hear about stuff you like in the podcast then go and read some books.

Alternatively, just use the Stanford Encyclopedia of philosophy. Every time you don't understand a word or concept, look it up and build up your knowledge from there.

Don't treat philosophy like another strand of literature, it's a science/discipline in itself and needs the same time and attention to understand it properly.
>>
>>8761039

I'd say Meditations by Marcus Aurelius it's s good start.
>>
>>8761091
>>8761075
Thats the point, ask for a stupid book get a stupid book
>>
>>8761114
KEK
>>
>>8761120

:^)
>>
>>8761114
>>>/fit/
>>
https://ia902608.us.archive.org/32/items/lecturesonhisto03hegegoog/lecturesonhisto03hegegoog.pdf

https://ia801403.us.archive.org/31/items/lecturesonhisto02hegegoog/lecturesonhisto02hegegoog.pdf

https://ia902705.us.archive.org/3/items/lecturesonhisto01hegegoog/lecturesonhisto01hegegoog.pdf
>>
>>8761039
A new history of Western Philosophy
>>
>>8761039
Start with Plato's Alcibiades (inb4 which one, bitch you know which one), then read all his dialogues, in more or less of a chronological order. Both Iamblichus and Proclus have considered the Alcibiades the better point of entry into Plato's works.

Read the Timaeus over and over again. Then read Plotinus and Proclus.
Then, begin ascending by gazing unto your own soul. Come back into yourself and see : do you see beauty in you? If you don't, act like the sculptor removing here, polishing there until he clears beautiful lines into the marble ; like him, remove that which is superfluous, straighten that which is oblique, clean what is dark until it shines, until the divine spark of virtue begins to manifest itself, until you see, in your soul, temperance seated on a sacred throne. Are you become this? Do you see this? Do you, with yourself, have a pure commerce, with no obstacle to your unification? Are you thoroughly become a true light, not some light whose greatness may augment or decrease, or which may be measured in dimension or form ; but an absolutely boundless light, in its superiority to all measure or quality ? Are you this? Do you see yourself as such? You have ascended ; trust yourself, you need no more guide ; gaze and see. For this is the only eye able to contemplate the Great Beauty, the eye having been cleaned of vice and weakness. Ascend. You are reaching the intelligible ; and you keep rising, beyond that which reason can comprehend ; beyond the Agathon, beyond the Form of Forms ; you have reached the One.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.