[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think about this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: theconsolations.jpg (93KB, 737x1200px) Image search: [Google]
theconsolations.jpg
93KB, 737x1200px
>>
Oh, God, this is going to sound like a typical /lit/ response, but I find AdB quite insufferable: pretty much every bit of his output I've ever encountered has left me with the impression of irritating triteness masquerading as depth.

I'd really be interested to hear from anybody who finds him interesting, insightful, worthwhile, etc. Because personally, I've just never been able to see it.
>>
>>8760596
De Botton, was for me, a very light intro into philosophy when I was younger, and actually inspired me to read the philosphers he talks about in the book.

>>8762359
However, the more I grew-up the more I became aware of what you said. He masquerades the lack of worthwhile content with overly decriptive and weird examples.

Basically it's extremely bias and diluted philosophy for dummies. But could be helpful when starting out.
>>
Don't (ever) waste your time, with philosophy: go straight to the source text
>>
There is only one "The Consolation of Philosophy". That is what I think about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Consolation_of_Philosophy
>>
>>8762691
>tfw thread wasn't about Boethius's diary desu
>>
>>8762691
This.

Botton is not exactly a thinker, so read him only if you have a lot of free time to waste.
>>
>>8762691
Dangerous propaganda, skip the late Romans and Medieval and go straight to the Renaissance and Enlightenment.
>>
>>8762359
Personally, I've had dinner with the man, and he seems like a limp pseud. I remember a video he had on Soren Kierkegaard which was totally wrong and basically labeled him a manically depressed fideist, so I might be biased, but God, he holds his fork with the strength of an infant and he spoke like such a bore.

That said, he's probably achieved more in his life than I've ever had and I'm just sore about the Soren.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.