[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the difference between poems and poetry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: esmagar rata.png (119KB, 225x227px) Image search: [Google]
esmagar rata.png
119KB, 225x227px
What's the difference between poems and poetry?
>>
Poetry is the art, poems are the medium.
>>
>>8757841
but... medium is the art
>>
>>8757846
A finished painting is not the process of painting.
>>
>>8757846
>art w/o concepts
>>
>>8757848

but that implies that all that makes up "poetry" is unfinished poems
>>
>>8757857

Le Checkmate

gg
>>
>>8757840

Perhaps a sufficient analogy would be that of Sinn vs Bedeuteng. The <i>poem</i> characterizes Bedeuteng, the <i>poetry</i> is the Sinn - related: Millian <i>connotation</i>.

Consider the following:
>Here, said she, Is your card, the drowned Phoenician Sailor, (Those are pearls that were his eyes. Look!) Here is Belladonna, the Lady of the Rocks, The lady of situations...The Hanged Man. Fear death by water. I see crowds of people, walking round in a ring.

Is the Phoenician Sailor the hanged man? The Sinn of the "Phoenician Sailor" exists, but the Bedeuteng may not denote through ostension some object in-der-welt. The <i> poetry </i> exists, but the poem does not.

>eσπερος είναι το ίδιο πλανήτη kαι φωσφόρου

In Modal logic, we also have a famous example of Sinn/Bedeuteng. Kripkean semantics resolves this issue, but it serves as a useful analogy nonetheless.
>>
>>8757857
It does not imply that, because the English language is not perfectly logical.
Someone doing poetry is poetry, poems are also poetry. Someone doing painting is painting, paintings are also paintings.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.