[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Journalism: need guidance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Made a thread yesterday looking for journo books, got a couple of replies. Figured I'll broaden my topic a bit more.

How the fuck does one get started in journalism nowadays? My journalism/English professor's idea of journalistic success is writing think pieces at the New Yorker. I just feel like I've learned next to nothing about the craft of journalism, I realize that I just haven't had strong professors but I'd like to seek this info out on my own. I don't want to "work towards" something. I have my own site that I publish on, I have a smartphone with a camera, I have a car, there's no reason to not do the journalism I want to NOW. I'm not asking you guys to hold my hand, I just need some fucking pointers, you know? Books, journalists, interviews, tips, lectures, give me any and all advice you have for someone like me. How feasible is it to try to do this alone? Do you really need much of a support network? My main interest is US nat'l politics.

I assume a decent amount of you are somewhat intertwined with journalism, being writers and publishers, hence why I'm asking here.
>>
>>8757727
Report facts not opinions and analysis like every other journalist out there nowadays. People are savvy on spin and don't like it.
>>
>>8757731
I do, when reporting. I do think investigative stuff (which I've began to dip my toe into) requires a more polemical tone, or else you fall into the pit of underselling the reality of the situation in the name of 'objectivity.'
>>
>>8757727
Go ask journalists how to get started today, it isn't easy for most journalists right now. Send them messages on social media or at their work email (Americans will be on holiday).
>>
>>8757727
Journalism is in a bad state right now senpai. Used to study to become just that but i decided to quit because i realized the trade is just shit right now.

With the arrival of internet and social media it's really hard to get out there and make money while writing on reporting on what you want. There's just so many blogs and freelance journalists nowadays it's hard to get noticed.

Big media companies are just garbage as well but they're probably the only way to make money and live as a journalist. The thing is, working for those you can't write and investigate on the things you want and you HAVE to follow the company ideology when you write on the things they want you to write about.

Most of the time it's gonna be uninteresting and mundane garbage especially if you're a starting journalist. Those who get the subjects they want are the old fuckers at the top of the ladder.

It's a shame really because good journalism is a necessity in any good democratic society and it's definitely not the case right now.
>>
>>8757727
Did anyone recommend Rushdie's 'The Jaguar Smile', anon? I will.
>>
File: Cwd_1FdUoAAmrXi.jpg (91KB, 738x787px) Image search: [Google]
Cwd_1FdUoAAmrXi.jpg
91KB, 738x787px
>>8758070
Good thought. Gonna inbox a few of may favorites on Twitter.
>>8758084
It kinda sucks but it's also kind of cool because there's so much journalism but almost all of it is really shitty. There's totally a market for independent, honest journalism, hard part is like you said getting noticed. It seems having a large social media presence is one of the most important aspects. Look at Mike Cernobich, complete hack of a "journalist," glorified self-help author and is becoming one of the largest influencers on Twitter. Same with Scott Adams. Guy has next to no knowledge of politics but is an influencer because he's a "persuasion" expert (Scott is great, I like watching his Periscope videos sometimes because he does have decent insight on public perception, point stands though, people are hungry for something honest). If people think those two are bastions of truth, I like my chances.
>>
>>8758115
No, but thank you. Tracking down the pdf now!
>>
>>8758138
This is something I learned from a book publisher rep who posted on /lit/ but I think its relevant for anyone who wants to start getting paid for their creative work.

If you have a blog, facebook (where you post your work), instagram, snapchat. tumblr, whatever publishers are more likely to look at your stuff. The reason is that you already have a market for when your book (or article) drops that is primed to read your stuff. Start cultivating an online presence now (this is hard because creativity and insight is difficult) so that when you are ready to send out a finished product it is more marketable. There are also publications that will review and publish articles for free (which is a shitty practice that is lowering the value of journalism) like Huffington Post.
>>
>>8758084
>>8758138
I don't know where you guys are getting your news and analysis from, but it's not that difficult to find well-written and insightful journalism. If you're talking about mainstream news then, I'm sorry to tell you, it's always been that way. You'll never become a millionaire as a journalist, but you won't end up homeless either.
>>
Get a journalism degree like I did.

Just kidding, don't fucking do that.

Love from,

An ex-sub-editor
>>
>>8759145
Where are you getting yours?
>>
Don't do a journalism course at uni
It's the biggest waste of money there is

t. 3rd year journo student
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.