[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best book to serve as an introduction to the occult?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 1454425087097.jpg (35KB, 291x273px) Image search: [Google]
1454425087097.jpg
35KB, 291x273px
What's the best book to serve as an introduction to the occult?
>>
>>8756020
My diary desu
>>
Là-Bas, Huysmans.
>>
Foucault's Pendulum
It's all nonsense anon
And just an excuse to blame stuff on Jews
>>
>>8756020
Occult stuff is retarded. It's like retarded theology that's almost purposefully vague and stupid
>>
>>8757247
>not praising a memetic chaos frog with esotric repeating numerals
lmao r u even /lit/
>>
Check out the Corpus Hermeticum and Franz Bardon's Initiation Into Hermetics to get an intro to magic and alchemy. I don't deal much in the way of spirits and the like, so I can't really recommend any material regarding spooky ghosts.
>>
File: neat.png (205KB, 388x476px) Image search: [Google]
neat.png
205KB, 388x476px
>>8757277
>77
all hail.
>>
The Tanakh, Holy Bible, and Apocrypha in good translations with commentary; Apophthegmata Patrum; primary texts of kabbalah and gnosticism. Trying to understand the occult without understanding its relationship with those texts leads to New Age plebdom.
>>
>>8757619
>Gnosticism
Nag Hammadi library is the best resource on Gnosticism, not really occult though, more like an alternate interpretation of the bible.

I'd say 'Natural Magics' by John Baptist Della Porta (orig. 'De Magicae Naturalis, Gianbattista de la Porta). Spells and stuff. The Satanic Bible has a few more (purely symbolic) if that is what you are looking for.

Aleister Crowley has a couple works (Book of Thoth, book of lies) but tend to jump around from topic to topic. Honestly I got more from just watching the documentary about him.

I think Order of Nine Angles (O9A) and Temple of Black Light (formerly, Misanthropic Luciferian Order) have a grimoire or two in PDF format, if you are into the black metally sort. Takes some time to track down online. Had to find a translation from Polish.

>>8757247
I like to read old stuff for history, speculation.

>new age plebdom
Wiccans hexing away the belly fat
>>
plotinus
proclus
paracelsus
pseudo dionysius
nicholas of cusa
marsilio ficino
giordano bruno
heinrich cornelius agrippa
corpus hermeticum
>>
File: 23939300202.jpg (59KB, 620x348px) Image search: [Google]
23939300202.jpg
59KB, 620x348px
>>8757636
~*+)0( BLESS'D BE )0(+*~
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.