[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've wasted so much time reading. All these years. All because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

I've wasted so much time reading. All these years. All because I'm basically an idiot.

I'm 23 years old and I just started reading books that I actually enjoy and give a shit about. Books that help me enjoy other books and media. Books that are genuine entertainment. I started reading a lot when I was 15 or 16 and I read these big dick classics. When I was 17 I read Brothers Karamazov. I've read Sound and the Fury, War and Peace, all of Oliver Wilde's stuff, all the recommended classics really. Then I got into philosophy and read Metaphysics and First Meditations and Human all too human.

I thought I was hot shit. But you know what? I didn't enjoy any of those fucking books, and I was so young and stupid, I didn't even get what they where trying to tell me.

I read one fucking Phillip K Dick, followed by a little Vonnegut, now I'm on Cormac, and holy shit I've never enjoyed reading so much in my life. I'm reading all the time.

I'm an idiot.
>>
my diary desu
>>
>I read one fucking Phillip K Dick, followed by a little Vonnegut, now I'm on Cormac, and holy shit I've never enjoyed reading so much in my life. I'm reading all the time.

>I read one fucking Phillip K Dick, followed by a little Vonnegut, now I'm on Cormac, and holy shit I've never enjoyed reading so much in my life. I'm reading all the time.

DROPPED.
>>
I genuinely wonder why Vonnegut and McCarthy are among the first authors people who want to get 'serious' about literature start with. Not berating you OP, just curious why it is so, so common
>>
The worst part is I wasn't even reading them to try and understand these big classics. I was doing it for social status. Literally so I could impress people. What an asshole. I read Anna Karenina you know how long that fuckin shit is? I lost track so many god damn times in that book. I had to keep reading just so if someone asked me how it ended I could prove I read it.

Youth is stupid. If you see a kid walking around with fucking Finnegans wake or something go slap it out of his/her hand and give them some David Mitchell or something for gods sake.
>>
>>8755541
Bump bump bump
>>
>>8755534
>enjoying Corn-Tortilla YeCarthy
pleb
>>
>>8755541
Help please.
>>
>>8755546
I'm not sure. I'd always heard Vonnegut praised so much, and I felt like I should have read his stuff when I was in my late teens like a lot of other people did, especially Slaughterhouse 5. So when I decided I was going to try and have fun with books his name was at the top of the list.

No idea on McCarthy though, I didn't know people started with him. I read a long time ago that the villain in Blood Meridian was one of the most evil antagonists that ever existed and so I've always wanted to read it. I'm reading it now, haven't read anything else by him.

So in both of my cases it was just word of mouth. So that's one hypothesis. Young readers talk about those two a lot.
>>
>>8755541
Is this a meme? It's brains and effort in any case. Not a very good sentence btw
>>
>>8755559
But is it right?
>>
>>8755559
Possibly an attempted forced meme in the making. He posted it today here too: http://archive.4plebs.org/adv/thread/17789457/

Or maybe he just genuinely wants help.

It's not a pleasant sentence.
>>
>>8755546

I was one of those kids who started on McCarthy, I chose BM because I seen someone post the passage about the legion of horribles on /b/ in like 2011, not sure if they had such meme status back then but there's my experience anyway.
>>
>>8755549
FW is fun to read because it's silly. Stop projecting your joyless attitude about life and your former shallow reverence of classics for the sake of snobbery unto others who might be enjoying themselves. I understand what you mean though about youth being stupid. Note that youth are stubborn too, so you telling them might help or might not. BTW you can also use this social status stuff when you're done being butthurt about it to motivate you to finish stuff you actually care about. Now have some fun.
>>
Kids use to read dickens at a very young age and move into other heavy classics in their teen years, shut up op You've not changed one bit you still are an idiot.
>>
>>8755591
This put a big wide smile on me. I will go have some fun. Thank you.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.