[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing Exercise - /lit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: randomcity.jpg (236KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
randomcity.jpg
236KB, 600x900px
Let's flesh out this novel idea I had when I was 14.

the timer or 00:00:

>in the future, a man who hates his life lives in a city where a giant clock is ticking on the wall. Nobody knows who put the clock there, but when the man meets some old man who tells him what to do, he does it and the clock immediately turns into a timer...and who knows what happens when the timer reaches 00:00?

I'm thinking the city revolves around the clock. It almost seems to be religious.

>when the man meets some old man

What is this old man like, where did he meet him?

>who tells him what to do

I'm thinking, instructs him on something riddle-like.

>the clock turns into a timer
what should the time be? I think it should turn into a timer on midnight.

I imagine the timer starts with the date and goes backwards

I'd like to hear thoughts and ideas. I never finish stories or novels, so hearing how it would be if I wrote it is a good idea.
>>
>>8754855
The ending, after much panic and suspense, finally getting everyones attention and proving that something will happen, when it reaches 00:00 it just flips over to 9999:9999 (whatever), and/or right before it hits 00, the batteries die... and then they put new batteries in, and then it hits 00. or a large revolutionary motif starts with a side not wanting to put in new batteries, and a side wanting too,

The religious relation, could be similar to 4chan, dubs, trips etc. in that certain numerical orientations mean certain things, like time to eat, time to wash, and theres a whole code book, of all the different meanings, like where the dubs occur 4566343 compared to 6534773

certain celebrations on certain things like flush 654321
>>
>>8754855
The old man, might be the son/or grandson, of the man who made the clock.

or the son of a founding member of the temple of the religion, or high political figure,

How the mc could have become curious about the clock, meet an outside on the edge of town, who warns of hearing a fable or story about this village, and needed to see for himself, first time an outside was met maybe?

maybe then he goes looking to speak to high preists and finds the old man, or goes behind the building wall where the clock is to search, to see if he can find any details about the mechanics, or history of it, mabe he finds the old man behind the clock in a little swell fab apartment, gotta think of old man character type, wealthy pristine palace apartment, or like sage keymaker/clockmaker, with tons of computers and graduated cylinders, etc. things like stock tickers,

he leaves the old mans apartment, everyone is making a big scene outside, as everyone notices it began counting down as a timer, he runs back up, to find the apartment empty, or the old man dead
>>
>>8754855

Either when it hits 0, nothing happens, or something happens.

aliens land on earth.

massive earth quake and atlantis rises.

buildings take off as space ships.

the city is surrounded by warrior hordes.

there is a hostile mutiny takeover.

the protagonist wakes up, as the 00 represents

the alarm clock and he was dreaming.
>>
>>8754855
>>8754923
>>8754955
>>8754964
you know they say that writing is really hard to do. a large majority of people fail. reading posts like this gives me some good insight as to why.
>>
>>8755019
>a large majority of people fail. reading posts like this gives me some good insight as to why.

Because compared to these highest of high standards laid before you, it is very difficult for all others to stand up to them, I see what you mean. Thank you for your contribution Captain Faget
>>
>>8755019
>you know
>a large majority of people fail.
>reading posts

yea. whiting. is. weely. weely. hawd.
>>
>>8755055
ok il try again; your post is concerning an idea you had when you were 14 (lul) where you come up with a story idea. except your story idea consists of a countdown.. and everything else is just random shotgun ideas, and for some reason were supposed to help you put the pieces together to make up a coherent novel? have you tried thinking about it yourself?
i read a book once where the chapters were titled "78 days before" "25 days before" etc, so pretty similar to your idea. admittedly it was rather interesting. but youre going to need more than that and why you expect us to do the legwork for you is beyond me
spoiler that book is looking for alaska by john green
>>
>>8755071
The person who wrote those 3 posts is not the OP

If you cant constructively produce any value of content, anything else you do here is expressing that you are unable to produce any valuable content
>>
>>8754855

The timer reaches zero, and the man is cycled through another time. He is transported to another time and space.
>>
>>8754923
This fleshing out really put a smile on my face. I like the whole idea of them holding value in the numbers that show up. The whole idea that their schedule is based around the clock, I also really enjoy.

>>8754955
>apartment is empty or the old man is dead

Aww yes. I think it would've been cool if the old man an hero'd after basically starting the timer

>>8754964
>the alarm clock and he was dreaming

wow that fucking seriously sparks some ideas! Like, this is just a super busy business man who literally lives by the clock, and is always stressed about schedules and timing. This whole thing was a dream to make him realize he'd been a slave to the clock.

Thanks everyone who contributed and hopefully flexed your writing boners, idk.

If you wanna take this idea for yourself, feel free. I've no interest in writing it.

>>8755071
As for you...

Lol, you're addressing that person as if it were me.

You can keep your bitter thoughts to yourself, really. I think you're jealous you didn't come up with great ideas at the age of 14 like I did. /s

Secondly, I'm not planning on doing anything with this idea. It's dead. I obviously lost interest and am going through old novel ideas. I will be posting more, just as an fyi, in case you want to join in and maybe exercise your brain a bit. Seems like you need it.

Thought I do appreciate the chapter title ideas, I'm really, /really/ not using this novel idea for anything.

But again, your contribution is appreciated.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.