[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Lindy effect causing dementia?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Really makes you think what he meant by this huh?

I agree with Taleb that the social sciences are not robust, but he really went too far this time. Surely some cognitive biases will be debunked or turn out to be the same, but I doubt that the whole ting is bullshit.
>>
>>8752545
welcome, reddit friend
>>
>>8752583
>welcome, reddit friend
Damn that took you guys long to figure out I came from reddit.
>>
>>8752545
I'm not certain you're interpreting him correctly there.

>>8752592
>not using the reddit checker extension
>>
>>8752635
>I'm not certain you're interpreting him correctly there.
How do you interpret it?
>>
>>8752650
Some cognitive biases are flash in the pan affairs (psycholobullshit I guess is in part a reference to YOLO), whereas others have a lot of cache by virtue of being old and thus last longer/are more relevant. This aspect of the Lindy Effect is itself a cognitive bias, so he's taking the piss a bit.

He's responding to
>Is there a name for the cognitive bias that makes us think any probability that is not exactly 0.5 should be treated as either 0.0 or 1.0?
btw, and that is also a bit of a micky taker, since ofc a bias affects a probability.

Also feel I need to further point out that #bantzmastertaleb is polarizing in response to to 0 or 1 thing: they're either old as civilization or only going to last a day,
>>
I just spent the last three minutes trying to figure out what the hell you are talking about and reading the wiki the effect
What part am I missing?
>>8752692
Yeah but that's people behavior to me, how we perceive things, not reality. .5 is still .5 to an engineer. What is he applying it to?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.