[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Literary confession thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 203
Thread images: 23

File: IMG_1303.jpg (25KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1303.jpg
25KB, 250x250px
Literary confession thread
>>
>>8750642
I shitpost on /lit/ every day and have never made a constructive post in my life because this board is just the best for shitposting
im sorry
>>
>>8750642
I read the classics because I enjoy them (mostly).
>>
>>8750652
Which ones didn't you enjoy?
>>
My favorite idea I've had so far is so dangerously close to YA John Green-tier garbage that I'm unsure whether or not to go with it
>>
>>8750642
I like books :(
>>
>>8750652
I don't read the classics because 90% of them sound like boring pointless shit.
>>
>>8750654
Not sure if you can consider it a classic or not, but I'm not enjoying The Bell Jar. Also, I tried starting the Golden Pavilion and I couldn't get jiggy with it.
>>
>>8750665
Cash in lad
>>
>>8750665
There's zero chance you'll ever do anything constructive with your life anyway so why not
>>
I dropped Dune a quarter of the way through. It was boring as fuck and too political.
>>
>>8750668
same for me but with all those genre fiction "classics" like the Heinlein novels or anything by Jane Austen.
>>
>>8750642
Metaphysics is my favorite branch of philosophy and the totality of philosophical literature I possess is devoted to metaphysics alone
>>
I only read poetry if it rhymes.
>>
>>8750665
Every time I write I end up fearing that it sounds too John Greeny so I scrap it. The problem is my head voice. When I write the voice in my head sounds like Hemingway, but when I read over it my head voice becomes John Greeny. I blame /lit/ shit posters
>>
>>8750651
Yeah well I barely even read (fiction at least) and my shitposts are better than most other posts on here.
>>
>>8750730
How would you know?
>>
>>8750794
I read the last word of each line and look for a rhyming pattern. If it isn't ABAB, AABBCC, or AABBA, then I don't read the full piece.
>>
File: Abba.jpg (50KB, 634x410px) Image search: [Google]
Abba.jpg
50KB, 634x410px
>>8750804
Do you listen to pic related by any chance?
>>
>>8750812
Only their songs that rhyme, why?
>>
>>8750832
>Only their songs that rhyme
How would you know?
>>
>>8750812
I GET IT NOW
>>
I'm an English major. I do enjoy reading but I'm a pretty serious pleb and I only read once or twice a week if I'm lucky. I just want to play call of duty and watch Naruto.
Absolve my sins plz
>>
>>8750840
I look up the lyrics beforehand, and examine the last word of each line and look for a rhyming pattern. If it isn't ABAB, AABBCC, or AABBA, then I don't listen to the full piece.
>>
>>8750856
Would you rather say Hail Marys or Our Fathers?
>>
>>8750804
>>8750859
>he can't into internal rhyme
feel bad for you son
>>
>>8750856
if you majored in english but you prefer watching naruto over reading youre going to run into some real fucking problems very very soon.
>>
>>8750864
I don't even remember Hail Mary beyond the first line.
These are dark times.
>>
>>8750866
It's not so much a preference as it is laziness. I put a lot of thought into what I do read and I feel I contribute more than most to class discussions, but I go to a crummy state school. I dream of accomplishing so much more but it seems so daunting and I worry that it's too late.
>>
i have all kinds of stuff to read but i cant stop playing pokemon and old school runescape
>>
>>8750884
worry for another day, week, year, lifetime
>>
>>8750869
In all seriousness in kind of the same except I'm a STEMfag. I like reading but its so much easier to just chill and play vidya. I constantly remind myself how playing video games is both mindless and fruitless. I still do play video games every now and again but only ~1-2 hours a week usually. That being said I do this so I can work on my studies for the most part, not to read. My reading is done during my commute and class breaks. It isn't much but it's more than I play games which is good enough for me.
>>
>>8750642
Most of the "best" writers from the last 200 years are actually pretty shit. Long winded, unimaginative, human case study stories. They are only "popular" because of pompous people who read.
EG:
>Rushdie
>Melville
>Salinger
>Joyce
>Fitzgerald
And the biggest
>Hunter Thomson

All over rated and boring. We got into a habit thinking that "kooky" or books that used extravagant words, for the sake of extravagance were good. They weren't. They were long winded shit writers.
>>
File: 1479426797357.jpg (168KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1479426797357.jpg
168KB, 720x480px
>>8750907
>Salinger

First off, of all the writers you just listed, Salinger is the best. Secondly, he isn't overrated and boring. But aside from him, I agree with those you've listed.
>>
>>8750907
>Melville
>Salinger
>Joyce
>Fitzgerald
>Hunter Thomson

One of these is not like the other.
>>
>>8750916
>you're right, except for the one I like
ORRRRR, they are all over rated and you just happen to like that one. Salinger is just as over rated as the rest.
>catcher in the rye LOL
https://newrepublic.com/article/118703/original-review-jd-salinger-catcher-rye-insufferable
>>
>>8750918
No, they are all over rated. Being different doesn't = good.
>>
I've read every single Murakami book. I like them all.
>>
>>8750920
>He's only read Catcher in the Rye

Tell me, faggot. Which other of J.D. Salinger's works have you read?
>>
>>8750921
Okay dude. Everyone's wrong and you're right. Moby Dick and Ulysses are just kooky and weird.
>>
>>8750926
>>8750920
>>8750921
>>8750918
>>8750916
>>8750907
Welcome to /lit/, where it's essentially an argument over whose dad can beat up who else's dad
>>
>>8750930
>they were considered stale shit until recently in history.
No I'm just not a hipster.
>>
>>8750936
That being said, I've read all of Salinger's novels except Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters, and quite enjoyed them, however I can see where someone could not enjoy them because sometimes Salinger gets all fucking wordy and breaks your flow.
>>
>>8750936
I bet your dad's a bitch and didn't even get the Catcher in the Rye.
>>
>>8750926
>thinks he is popular for anything else
LOL. Do you even live in this world?
>>
>>8750938
I could have sworn they've been lauded as masterpieces for quite a while now. You're rocking my world.
>>
File: 7.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
7.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
i'm a successful game developer who majored in computer science. i have always loved books and my deepest wish is that i would have majored in english instead. i didn't do it because i was scared i'd never find a job.

i traded happiness for money, lads, and it's a terrible feeling.
>>
File: imgres.jpg (7KB, 175x288px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
7KB, 175x288px
>>8750943
>however I can see where someone could not enjoy them because sometimes Salinger gets all fucking wordy and breaks your flow.
Salinger's dialogue is what makes him the GOAT.

>>8750945
>LOL. Do you even live in this world?
You've only confirmed my point, faggot.
>>
>>8750951
You are wrong. They were received as ...mehhhh .... when written.
"he novel was a commercial failure and out of print at the time of the author's death in 1891, but during the 20th century, its reputation as a Great American Novel was established. "
>>
>>8750955
I don't think you have to study literature in school to cultivate a love for it. You don't have to be a marine biologist to love the ocean.
>>
>>8750955
>traded happiness
Nothing about your current job stops you from enjoying literature. But getting a degree in literature would have given you a ridiculous stress level from being poor.
>>
>>8750967
So you're one of the literary hipsters I talked about. Thanks!
>>
>>8750955
>would have
protip: you'd have regretted any decision you would've made, but now you can cry in your mercedes instead of a cardboard box, so you won at life yaaaaaaa
>>
>>8750978
The 20th century was a pretty big one.
>>
>>8750991
>literary hipster

Okay. If reading Salinger instead of meme authors like DFW and Thomas Memechon makes me a hipster, then so be it. At least I read genuine literature, not your mainstream meme books. Enjoy being a psued, you try hard faggot.
>>
>>8751005
>it was shit until wanna be "high society" people said it was good
Sounds about like over rated garbage to me.
>>
>>8751022

>people other then high society and educated types were reading literature and writing essays/criticisms on them in the early 20th century
also

>In a review in The Dial, T. S. Eliot said of Ulysses: "I hold this book to be the most important expression which the present age has found; it is a book to which we are all indebted, and from which none of us can escape." He went on to assert that Joyce was not at fault if people after him did not understand it: "The next generation is responsible for its own soul; a man of genius is responsible to his peers, not to a studio full of uneducated and undisciplined coxcombs.

don't be such a fucking meme cause you couldn't understand the book.
>>
File: James-Joyce.jpg (35KB, 468x500px) Image search: [Google]
James-Joyce.jpg
35KB, 468x500px
I have a fucking bone to pick with Joyce, being a writer myself.

I do not like the way he totally abandons clarity of narrative. I appreciate that he's trying to bring the 19th century's artistic concerns to a completion in Ulysses. I realize that he's trying to finish the novel and is trying to annihilate all the stylistic concerns that have plagued the English language before him.

However, I find "Oxen of the Sun" inexcusable. There's no good reason for it to be the way it is. It's TOO unclear. You can't tell what's going on. Joyce should have guided his readers more evidently. There should have been more logical progression of plot. And if Joyce couldn't have done it without sacrificing his goal for the chapter, then the chapter was a bad one. He should not have attempted it.
>>
>>8751040
LOL you must be a sophomore in college.
>>
>>8751042

I'm not in college though.
>>
>>8751022
Well I certainly hope you're trolling. That doesn't seem like a well grounded assessment, but whatever I'm not literature's vanguard.
I'll never forget my first time reading Moby Dick but go on ahead and hate it for your own reasons.
>>
>>8751048
>I'll never forget my first time reading Moby Dick

Tell us about it, without giving the book away.
>>
>>8751045
Even worse then.

>>8751048
I didn't say I "hate" them. I said over rated. And generally they are. I think Friends is over rated as a TV show but I still enjoy the occasional episode.

Do you people not know how to separate these two things?
>>
>>8750888
same. the 4chan clan chat is way too addictive to me, it's like highly concentrated funposting
>>
I routinely post in Nietzsche threads, act as if I'm knowledgeable and understand the man better than others but have never read a single page he has ever written.
>>
>>8751171
Don't worry neither have they
>>
>>8751056
"Over-rated garbage".
>>
>>8751054
Well it was for a class with the coolest and most intelligent professor I've ever had.
I just really felt like I was sailing away from a boring life to partake in something dangerous and grand.
>>
>>8750642
I buy books and never read them.
>>
I enjoy the thought of buying and collecting classic books than I actually do reading (which I still enjoy though).

I have learned a lot about lit and what the 'right opinions' are, and I regularly contribute to discussions about authors I have never even read before. I always just recite stuff I heard other people say, but with added bait.
>>
I have strong opinions about the different Russian translations but I have only ever read P&V.
>>
>>8751171
Nothing wrong with that. Nietzsche himself was a lot like that.
>>
>>8751041
>I have a fucking bone to pick with Joyce, being a writer myself.
This gives you no power over him, nor any power to your thoughts.
>I do not like the way he totally abandons clarity of narrative.
He didn't.
>I appreciate that he's trying to bring the 19th century's artistic concerns to a completion in Ulysses.
That was not his motivation.
>I realize that he's trying to finish the novel and is trying to annihilate all the stylistic concerns that have plagued the English language before him.
That was not his intent.
>However, I find "Oxen of the Sun" inexcusable. There's no good reason for it to be the way it is.
Wrong.
>>
>>8751298
Why don't you explain the point of "Oxen of the Sun," then.

My complaint is primarily that it goes too far in promoting style as an element, and sacrifices too much narrative clarity as a result.
>>
>>8751298
>let me highlight every sentence of this post and contradict them with no elaboration
>>
File: IMG_1212.jpg (239KB, 788x591px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1212.jpg
239KB, 788x591px
I read books and take notes on the details involving the mechanics of how the story is told and then apply them to the novel I'm writing.
>>
File: 1477274699020.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1477274699020.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
I buy many books I don't read.
The moment a book has even so much a feel for pro-degeneracy propaganda I set it down for good.
I like hard sci-fi and only hard sci-fi
I mostly read only the genre mentioned above and how to books having to do with guns which are my favorite hobby
I have started to write three books, of which I've only gone as far as three chapters in each one
I dropped out of school and live the NEET life while I leech off my Philippine girlfriends money and hard work
I yell at her and treat her like shit even so
25 years old and have kids with another Korean woman, I never see my kids due to the fake police accusations the Korean woman did to ruin my life
Kill me /lit/
>>
>>8751326
Really picked up heat towards the end there. Go on.
>>
>>8751326
>sci-fi enthusiast
>is a complete fuck up beyond all hope
No surprises there
>>
>>8751334
Lol why is that? Not disagreeing just wanting to know the logic behind it.
>>
>>8751331

Believe me it can get alot worse and even more cringeworthy
>>
File: 1419638812803.png (136KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1419638812803.png
136KB, 300x300px
>>8750642
I tried to write good, quality literature with trenchant themes and real new ideas and observations about our current society, but I just can't fucking do it so I'm trying to write a YA novel because at least teens won't recognize my fumbling attempts at depth for the shallow trash that it is.
>>
I used to think purple prose was the best way to write. There are times of weakness where I churn out nothing but distracting shit that I know will be removed in subsequent edits.
>>
>>8750642
I avoid french lit because I can't pronounce the names.
>>
>>8750944
What's to get? It's just a rape fantasy
>>
>>8750642
When I read speeches in ancient histories. Herodotus, Thucydides, Tacitus, Appian etc I imagine them in the Rome total war generals voice.
>>
I skip the foreword
>>
I pretty much only read Sci-Fi... I'm kinda obsessed by the future and I wonder daily how will ne the life in the next decades or centuries....
>>8751334
What do you have accomplished in life, champ?
>>
>>8750642

I love GoT and I mostly read fantasy.

The only "serious" literature I've read is 1984 and Stoner. (1984 was a bit boring but I loved Stoner).

Do you have any other serious literature that you'd recommend for a pleb like me?
>>
>>8751326
>I leech off my Philippine girlfriends money
this is my dream, but I do not want to move over to SEA
>>
I like reading shitty romance plots in fantasy novels.

I enjoyed The Wheel of Time's harem subplot
>>
File: 1479790365693[1].jpg (1MB, 1820x4348px) Image search: [Google]
1479790365693[1].jpg
1MB, 1820x4348px
>>8751537
>>
>>8750678
That just means you may have taste.
>>
>>8750907
Glad to see anti-intellectualism is alive and well on our board.
I unironicaly recommend r/books, you'd like their taste better.
>>
I'm going to quit my job to write full time for a bit.
My wife supports me in this, which only makes me feel worse that I'm having an affair
>>
>>8751665
>Not having an affair with your wife
>>
I have never memorized a poem or even a verse.
Is it necessary to do it? I read poetry and i enjoy it, but i can't remember exactly every verse.
I see all these writers and literary people quoting verses very precisely and i feel like i'm missing something
>>
>>8751665
Man you're a shit person.
>>
I bought a book with a movie cover
>>
>>8751665
You should kill yourself
>>
>>8751665
>>My wife supports me in this, which only makes me feel worse that I'm having an affair
your wife will leave you once you cannot provide for her, especially if you do not fuck her good
>>
>>8750642

I see myself as a reader, but really, I spend most of my time reading stupid shit on 4chan and watching tv and movies.
>>
>>8751616
Bro I live in Los Angeles

If you're white, over 5'8, and decently good looking you can score tons of would be doctor/nurse Asian girls who are about to leave graduate or just did earning around 45 to 55 an hour starting.
>>
>>8751688

We don't know the details. But yes cheating is always a mistake
>>
>>8750642
I don't read
>>
>>8751792
>and decently good looking

That's a big 'if' though.
>>
I've never read an entire book
>>
>>8751326

>read genre fiction
>ruin life

that is the message to take from this post kids
>>
>>8750642
>over a couple of years in highschool, i read a few millions words of literature
>it was all fanfiction

>written 300K words in 3 books, still not finished
>also fanfiction

kill me
>>
>>8751665
I think she knows anon.
>>
>>8750642

I have read much more manga than books considering sheer volume and I read a lot.

I heavily dislike Shakespeare, Bukowski, Dostoyevski and Joyce.

I think the second half of Faust was pretty shit and Goethe frankly ran out of ideas and devolved into his usuall wankery.
Nothing against Goethe tho.

I have a whole wall of books I own which I never read.

I fluently speak German and Russian and read inferior English literature instead.

I think 90% of poetry is shit.
>>
File: kek-kalki.jpg (49KB, 347x311px) Image search: [Google]
kek-kalki.jpg
49KB, 347x311px
I am British and I will never read one of the american "classics".

You can't stop me.
>>
>>8751912
Sheep here. You're the cancer of this board.
>>
>>8751954

Takes one to know one right?
>>
>>8750642

I consume libraries. I wear out spines and ROM drives. I do things like get in a taxi and say "the library, and step on it".
>>
>>8750739
I know that feel, I really like my idea and am thinking of ways to make it literary and /lit/ but like it's so close to being John Green that I want to just scrap it some time
>>
>>8751962
Classic.
>>
I really love Hemingway but I couldn't trudge through For Whom the Bell Tolls and skipped to the last few chapters when I was on like page 200.
>>
>>8751929
its okay, just keep on adopting our slang and our jurisprudence
>>
>>8751978
Have a law degre and can tell you adoption from the US is very very rare.
>>
>>8751978
Like adoption from Australia is more common even though you are 15 times bigger.

Frankly we probably copy more roman law principles without admitting it than adopting US case law. To the extent that I'd rather we were more accepting of your principles of law.

I just don't think you know what you're talking about.
>>
File: invasion.jpg (40KB, 225x330px) Image search: [Google]
invasion.jpg
40KB, 225x330px
I read and enjoyed pic related, it has some genuinely good prose.
>>
>>8751962
Hi Dave :^)
>>
>>8750642
I sincerely enjoy Infinite Jest
>>
>>8750668
What do you like to read?
>>
>>8751359
did you quit trying to ride a bike the first time you fell off it?
>>
>>8751665

lmao your wife is just letting you quit so when she dumps your ass because she knows you're cheating, you're going to be a destitute loser "pursuing his writing" while she makes off with all your stuff
>>
I'm obsessed with horror. I only read horror, I only watch horror movies, only play horror games. I only feel good about what I'm writing when it's horror.

However horror seems to me like it would not only be one of the hardest genres of fiction to sell, but also one of the least respected genres artistically. This makes me fear for my future. Which is ironic, kind of.
>>
I barely read and I can't write.
>>
>>8750642
I write anime and videogame tier plots but at least my poetry is decent

I also copy philosophical rants from /lit/ users and adapt them into antagonist manifestos
>>
It seems these days I can't just read a book. I have to consume excessive amounts of supplementary material before, during, and after.

On one level I'm fine with this because I think my comprehension and understanding has increased over books I've just read and forgotten. On the hand, however, my progress is increasingly slowed and revisiting classics and epic is even more daunting given the massive amounts of scholarly supplement that I'll inevitably try and consume alongside the actual text.
>>
>>8750652

same. I genuinely enjoy reading Shakespeare, Dickens, and Henry James. I make no pretentions about reading the classics for self improvement or intellectual development or whatever. I read purely for entertainment.

That's why I can't get into most philosophy. I just find most of it to be useless in my life, and poorly written.

Also, I just don't find most pop-lit to be entertaining. I usually find them to be boring. People complain I'm being snobby and hate fun, but I'm still reading for entertainment and I just can't get into them.
>>
>>8751322
There is nothing wrong in that, that is what you are supposed to do.
>>
I buy ebooks off Amazon, download them to the Kindle app, then strip the DRM in Calibre and get them immediately refunded.

I must have done so 30-40 odd times, I'm not sure how Amazon hasn't caught on to it yet.
>>
>>8752415
Oh and then I send them to people as Birthday/Christmas gifts.
>>
>>8752319
horror liek spooky or horror like torture?
why do you fancy in horror?
>>
>>8752415
>>I must have done so 30-40 odd times, I'm not sure how Amazon hasn't caught on to it yet.
I think it is matter of price, like buying a 800$ drill for a 1 day job, then returning it.
>>
I partially skipped over John Galt's 70 page monologue in Atlas Shrugged. It still haunts me to this day.
>>
>>8752415
>Buy books fullfilled by amazon
>Cancel order after it's shipped
>Refunded immediately, still get the books a few days later
>No emails or anything

I don't know how this happened but I have no regrets
>>
>>8752527
I don't think anyone has read that whole thing though. I got through maybe 40-50 pages, but once it gets through epistemology and up through application as ethics and as a political philosophy there is not really much worth reading. It just goes on and on...
>>
>>8752234
Horror and weird, history sometimes. Books that /lit/ considers pleb.
>>
I read to ease the feeling of dread thinking about the future.
>>
>>8752264
of course he did, how else can you blame lack of talent
>>
I only listen to audiobooks ;_;
>>
>>8750884
I was a really lazy history major. I read less than the minimum, smoked too much weed, etc. I do and don't regret it.

I would absolutely say that people should major in something that can get them a job or minor (or double major if you want) in something you love. People gave me that advice but I didn't do it because I thought I would figure it out. I didn't realize that if I was that lazy in college, it would be trickier to 'figure it out' outside of school.
>>
Ulysses is overrated pretentious garbage that pseudo intellectuals enjoy
>>
File: 1443225349405.gif (216KB, 593x900px) Image search: [Google]
1443225349405.gif
216KB, 593x900px
I like philosophy but I am unable to read most famous books because of concentration problems. My mind wanders off with these books because I can't picture what is going on. No problem with fictional books.
>>
>>8751973
I thought the old man and the sea was amazing, but holy fuck, for whom the bell tolls was boring.
Gave up at around page 200 myself. But the scene from the village where all the people jump of the cliff was actually great tho, too bad the rest was so dull
>>
File: th.jpg (13KB, 160x247px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
13KB, 160x247px
I unironically like the legends of dune series.
>>
I love pleb fantasy books based on history like Cornwell and Conn Iggulden
>>8753576
Me too
>>
>>8753462
Wrong
>>
>>8753631
>>8753631
>>8753631

JESUS FUCK
>>
>>8750642
i can only read at a 8th grade level pls kill me
>>
File: 091516-celebs-denzel-washington.jpg (408KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
091516-celebs-denzel-washington.jpg
408KB, 1200x600px
>>8753695
>>
I have never read any Shakespeare.
>>
>>8752157
Only pseuds don't
>>
>>8753734
Man, Will Smith has let himself go.
>>
>>8751322
You are me. Which books did you read that you consider helped you? I am writting a novel. Any suggestion is welcome.
>>
didnt have the patience to read in search of lost time im too dumb for this shit
>>
The only posts I make are redpill posts.
>>
>>8751807

By decently I mean at least a 6/10 I'm sure you can muster that if you try
>>
I'm autistic for pic related
>>
>>8750642
I'm illiterate
>>
File: 1446333862033.jpg (66KB, 500x680px) Image search: [Google]
1446333862033.jpg
66KB, 500x680px
I've unironically come to believe Bloom and Scruton were right.
>>
>>8751638
>Harry Potter
>Better than bible
lol fuck off with your shitty chart you fat autistic cunt
>>
>>8754372
There's a lot wrong with that chart, notably the positions of Orwell and Fitzgerald.
>>
File: 1466901972943.jpg (95KB, 1078x922px) Image search: [Google]
1466901972943.jpg
95KB, 1078x922px
>>8753576
>I like philosophy but I am unable to read most famous books because of concentration problems. My mind wanders off with these books because I can't picture what is going on. No problem with fictional books.
>>8753646
then watch videos of thinkers. in 90min, they say the same things that they say in 300 pages, in a better way since it is spoken languages and not written language
>>
>>8750888
>OSRS
me too
at least I listen to lectures while playing

Lately been listening to Jordan B. Peterson's Maps of meaning
listened to all of Milton Friedman's Free to choose in the fall
>>
File: 1441238413627.jpg (41KB, 500x258px) Image search: [Google]
1441238413627.jpg
41KB, 500x258px
>>8754397
>through friends
>>
>>8750642
I legitimately enjoy reading "good" naruto and harry potter fanfiction.

Please kill me.
>>
>>8752029
>GAMEKNIGHT999
>>
>>8750642
I read all day so I don't have to face the fact that I have terrible autism and will never have a fulfilling relationship with anyone
>>
>>8753882
Redpill me, faggot
>>
>>8750642
I only read because it makes me feel superior to the retarded people that surround me, but deep down I know that they are way happier than me and that they will probably be more successful that I will ever be
>>
>>8754507
>I'm sad because I'm too smart for the people around me

Sounds like someone doesn't talk to anyone else in the real world.
>>
>>8750642
I read Paulo Cohelo's The Alchemyst and I liked it.
>>
I only want to read my own writing and improve on my style. My inspiration almost never comes from reading but from literally any other medium such as music, art, vidya, anime, etc.

does anyone else have this feel? What can I do to fix it?
>>
>>8754540
Which means he isn't smart at all, just has assburgers.
>>
>>8754879
>everyone has this
No one gets a book idea reading a book faggot. Most people get inspiration from the world around them. Go away normie who thinks he's special.
>>
>>8753608
Yeah that scene was amazing. The romance plot in the book just felt too shallow and forced. The ending is quite good though
>>
>>8754898
I don't know how long you've been here but it used to be the case that if you wrote more pages than you read, you fucked up.
>>
>>8754909
>idiots had a stupid rule on 4chan so it must be right

And you are confusing what is being said by me and anons. You should read to learn how a book is structured and how it's written. You get INSPIRATION from the world around you, not by reading other peoples stories.
>>
>>8750642
I'm citing Hypersphere in my research paper
>>
>>8750642
I've enjoyed Logan's Run more than any book I read in the past year
>>
>>8750955
>>successful game developer
>thinking majoring in CS is your problem
>>
>>8755032
Logan's Run is one of the few novels I can open up to any passage and immediately be enthralled. I never bothered with the sequels, though.
>>
>>8750642
At the age of 21 I teared all the books of the library that I spent all my life collecting ,reading and loving because I had moral crisis.and at the age of 27 I feel that I have lost part of my soul by doing that.
>>
>>8755197
>tore* or tear* depending on tense
>>
>>8750642
While there were definitely parts of V. that I enjoyed, it doesn't make me look forward to the next book of his I will read eventually.
>>
>>8755204
why?
>>
>>8755203
Sorry English isn't my mother tongue.
>>
I usually read higher end literature, but I have also read over 100 books by Simenon.

On the bright side, he has received props from Gide and Faulkner. But still, 100 books by one noir artist.
>>
>>8755197
Are you a woman or what?Fucking hell
>>
I think most philosophy is pretentious, and unfounded.
>>
>>8755698
It is supposed to be unfounded though, there is no external object that can be used as proof for concepts.
>>
Everyone here thinks they're deep but in reality they're just insignificant.

The difference is, I recognize my insignificance.
>>
File: Notre Jour Viendra.jpg (37KB, 444x294px) Image search: [Google]
Notre Jour Viendra.jpg
37KB, 444x294px
>>8750642 (OP)
I like sci-fi genre fiction.
I read CP smut.
>>
File: 1454026577747.png (301KB, 500x753px) Image search: [Google]
1454026577747.png
301KB, 500x753px
>>8755760
>>
I have gotten into girls' pants by bragging about reading hipster pseudo-artsy books before.
Not even ashamed
>>
>>8751760
She already makes more than I do. I'm a cook at a decent restaurant, she's just about to make partner at her law firm.
>>
>>8756192
That's what you're supposed to do, good job.
>>
>>8752421
Pretty much anything you could fit in the very wide definition of "horror." Anything that tries to, or just inherently frightens. Generally I prefer realism but anything goes.

I don't really know why. Too much goosebumps as a kid, maybe.
>>
>>8756192
does that even qualify as pseudo-artsy
Thread posts: 203
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.