[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>He never planned on going to the garden, but the experiences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 5555.png (40KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
5555.png
40KB, 240x240px
>He never planned on going to the garden, but the experiences he heard others had peaked his interest too much to stay away.

>He never planned on going to the garden, but the experiences he heard others had peaked his interest too much for him to stay away.

Which is right?

Is it

>too much for him to stay away.

or

>too much to stay away.
>>
It's piqued. Otherwise, they're both clumsy sentences.
>>
He had never planned to visit the garden, though others whispered of experience too grand for him to stay away.
>>
>>8750072
Why is the "had" even there?

>>8750000
Yea you're right on that. I also don't see what's clumsy about the sentence
>>
>>8750233
The had adds balance to the sentence.
>>
>>8750233
>I also don't see what's clumsy about the sentence

"Had piqued" makes the reader think of the pluperfect, it takes half a second to realise the "had" and the "piqued" are part of two different clauses. Most people would have to read it twice to catch the meaning.
>>
>>8749957

The second does a better job grounding that infinitive
>>
>He never planned on going to the garden
This works. Keep it. This also balances with the "piqued his interest too much" at the end.

>but the experiences he heard others had
But this sucks.

Why not just K.I.S.S. with this sentence and then expand on "the experiences he heard others had" in a different sentence?

"He never planned on going to the garden, but his interest was piqued too much for him to stay away."

That could work as either a starting or closing sentence of a paragraph about other people's experiences at the garden.
>>
>>8750460
Well the following few sentences do relate to that, so I see your point.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.