[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Des phrases violets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: ed_2080405b.jpg (61KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
ed_2080405b.jpg
61KB, 620x388px
Is there any way to recognize purple prose in your own writing?

What's your personal guideline to circumventing it?

I honestly can't tell if my writing is purple. That must mean that I am an objectively bad writer...
>>
>>8748947
violettes*
>>
>>8748961
Désolé, I have a hard time with my genders. Thanks, though.
>>
>>8748947
Try reading it out loud to someone
>>
>>8748947
Ask yourself : "If I ignored who wrote this, would I tend to think the author a woman?"
>>
>>8748984
Misogyny aside, it's a good litmus test desu
>>
>>8748947
>Is there any way to recognize purple prose in your own writing?

Purple prose is a myth. It's a polite way to tell someone their writing is shit.

Lowry and Wilde had prose that could be classified as purple. But they pulled it off because they had the right skill set and enough patience for proper revision.

The only way you can really judge your own work is to put some space between you and it. Put it in a drawer for two weeks and then read it over and rewrite it. Not only will you have a better story, but the skill needed for revising (an aspect a lot of new writers neglect) will also become more refined.
>>
>>8748984
I input my latest work into a gender analyzer, and it said that the work was "weak male" ("weak" implying that the prose is European-esque).

By your theory: if you take two identical works, one given a male author's name, the other, a female; people will subconsciously think the female counterpart be worse because of the connection between women and their superfluous nature?
>>
>>8749032
No, I think women write feminine shit, and this is what people don't like about purple prose : it is effeminate. If you take a look at >>8749016, the two authors quoted are either full-on flaming faggots or at least, closeted homosexuals. Their prose was written accordingly. Think about Hemmingway. Does he sound like a woman?

Adjectives are like books, they're for faggots. Edit them out. The only adjectives a real author would really need, are "big", "small" and colors. The rest is noise.
>>
>>8749016
This is very good advice, thank you. How can I make sure to choose the right time when to work on it again?

I don't want to cover it for too long, so that I lose the connections and ideas that I had with it; but not be so impatient, so as to prematurely take it out, and make no progress whatsoever.
>>
>>8749046
I understand that now.

So is purple prose characterized by the overuse of adverbs and adjectives? What about the use of metaphors?
>>
>>8749056
All of it. Think of an effeminate man, alright? He sees a dog pissing on a truck. What does he think? Nothing. Yet he has to voice his opinion, he has to say something since he's reaaally extroverted and cool, but since there's nothing to say about it, what will he do? He's gonna say what it brings to his mind. That's where the metaphor comes from. Don't do that.

An adverb? What even IS an adverb? I for one don't know what it is and neither should you.
>>
>>8749046
>No, I think women write feminine shit, and this is what people don't like about purple prose :

Thanks for using a trip so I can filter this horseshit
>>
>>8749064
>An adverb? What even IS an adverb? I for one don't know what it is and neither should you.

3/10

You had me for a second at least
>>
>>8749064
So when you remove two very major parts of speech, and a supporting pillar of figurative language, how does one stop their own work from turning bleak? It's basically non-fiction at that point, my man.

>>8749077
>>8749087
A lot of things this trip/troll is saying I don't agree with, but deep down, I feel as if he's telling some truth. Maybe I'm just naïve.
>>
>>8749098
Adjectives and adverbs are just shortcuts for things the author is unable to express through narration. Read Bossuet or La Bruyère, there's an adjective every ten pages, yet it is pretty much the summit or prose.
>>
>>8749108
I can't help but feel that what you're suggesting to me, is to use some bastardization of reverse-circumlocution.

According to you, this: "The daily torrential downpours that which heavily tolled the summer seasons from years past to present, proved a challenge for John to carry out his newspaper rounds that morning," could be better put as: "The rain did not allow John to leave."
>>
>>8749046
>>8749064
So Hemmingway is great and Shakespeare a bad writer? Even in troll posts this kind of opinions are cancerous.
>>
>>8749154
Bossuet describes Henrietta of England's death as such :

"Madam dies ; madam is dead. Who, among us, was not struck by this blow as if some tragic accident had desolated their family? [...] Everywhere, we but gaze upon pain and despair, and the image of death."

Remember these five words : "Madam dies ; madam is dead."
>>
>>8748947
dont look at it for a couple months, then read it over
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.