[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your opinion on light novels and novellas?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 2_CLUBS.png (13KB, 590x813px) Image search: [Google]
2_CLUBS.png
13KB, 590x813px
What is your opinion on light novels and novellas?
>>
>>8748003

Honestly, it a format of writing that the bulk of writers should employ. I am to understand that, from a publishing standpoint, the difference in cost between printing a novel and a novella are basically non-existent however, publishers feel that people won't pay novel prices for novellas so they don't print them because they don't get as much profit from them.

In terms of writing though, they are superior.

Take someone like Stephen King for example. The guy has talent. He is descriptive, and a good word smith (fucks up endings almost universally though) but it is pretty obvious that he pads a shit load of his works to keep the word and page count. It is nice that he can so intricately describe people laying on the grass and looking at the sun or how water flows down a street in a small town for multiple paragraphs, however, none of this adds to a story and is just a very lengthy aside that actually slows down the story incredibly.

A Novella? It allows for characters to be established, the plot to not be rushed, and enough detail to have plenty of great mental pictures and such. In short,novellas offer a complete and well written story without the down-time and stupid side stories that go fucking nowhere that is prevalent in a lot of novels. They are fast reads, not because of the few pages and lesser word count, but because the flow of a well constructed story causes the reader to burn through the book without being fatigued.

I am happy it is starting to gain more traction with e-readers by allowing digital publishing and such and I will even give props to nip translations through companies like Yen Press to advance the medium and help get more people into reading books these days.
>>
>>8748003
nigga we only read big dick books, ulysses, infinite jesjt, gravitys ranbow zettels traum the fucking list goes on
>>
>>8748030
Are you pretending to be a redditor?
>>
>>8748003
Prose is usually shit so they are usually shit since the prettiness of the prose is the only thing that matters
>>
>>8748091

Good and descriptive writing is indeed important, however, inconsequential shit and sub-plots being added in that are inferior just to add length to a novel is a cancer.

To be fair it is a problem I have with a lot of classic literature and it is a sign of bad habits picked up by people who were a product of their times.

Flow is important.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.