[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were the Laputan men in Gulliver's Travels the original cucks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: laputa.jpg (160KB, 690x1130px) Image search: [Google]
laputa.jpg
160KB, 690x1130px
Were the Laputan men in Gulliver's Travels the original cucks?
>>
What is with the current obsession of cuckoldry in the west?
>>
>>8743919
The deeply unsettling realization that any white man in the world could have run against Obama in 2008 and 2012, and would still have lost. Because it's 2016 and this is who we are.

The reason we didn't have Mrs. My Turn or Tokeno Cruzio this year is because middle class white men are tired of being marginalized, or to put it crudely, cucked.
>>
>>8743919
It's not a new thing. Swift was a Tory, and the Laputans are thought to be an allegory for the Whigs.
>>
>>8743939
And what of the fetishization of being cucked? There is almost a masochistic aspect to it.
>>
>>8743939

it's an interesting theory, but unfortunately voting statistics do not bear it out. Trump didn't win big, rather Shillary lost bigger; the neoliberal theory of the "whitelash" is defensive ideology to guard against the truth, which is that this was lost by black folks and latinos who desperately wanted a working class politics that would help them, not the same old liberal bullshit that operates through celebrity pandering.
>>
>>8743945
This was actually an allegory on the status of Ireland, an early statement on colonialism so to speak
>>
>>8743950
You could call it identification with the aggressor. It's a desperate way to turn the situation inside out, make it positive.

>>8743954
I think they definitely underestimated the Cuban-American bloc.
In that they assumed that all hispanics are more of less Mexicans.
The differences are surely very blurry when viewed from the ivory tower.

If Trump were a standard republican, maybe it wouldn't be symbolic. But he constantly trash-talked Obama, supported the police (which may as well be listed as a white supremacist organization, to hear the media talk,) and actively stirred up trouble about Mexican immigration. I don't believe he is a racist, but these are symbolically important.

He was not only the non-progressive candidate, he was the anti-progressive candidate, which is why he generated so much hysteria on the left. In their 19th century mythology, politics can only become increasingly left wing, progress can never be reversed, because it's 2016.

As for black Trump voters, I'm sure there are more of them than the blinkered left-wing set believe, but I'd also say there were fewer black democratic voters this year, enough to make a significant difference. How can they get enthusiastic about that champagne sipper with the tight smile and creaky voice?
>>
>>8743983
Yeah, Balnibarbi is allegory for Ireland. The Balnibarbian men get back at their Laputan overlords by fucking their wives.

>The women of the island have abundance of vivacity: they, contemn their husbands, and are exceedingly fond of strangers, whereof there is always a considerable number from the continent below, attending at court, either upon affairs of the several towns and corporations, or their own particular occasions, but are much despised, because they want the same endowments. Among these the ladies choose their gallants: but the vexation is, that they act with too much ease and security; for the husband is always so rapt in speculation, that the mistress and lover may proceed to the greatest familiarities before his face, if he be but provided with paper and implements, and without his flapper at his side.
>>
>>8744003
I wonder if this is purely imaginary on Swift's behalf or if it was inspired by an actual tendency in the 18th/19th century of Irishmen cucking the English while they were on duty or something
>>
>>8743919
Insecurity
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.